Scoliosis surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am currently sat on the waiting list for spinal fusion I have already had my pre assessment does anyone know a rough timescale for this? And what to expect pre and post op? And what timescale am I looking at for going back to work in a strenuous area?

Getting quite anxious now with not knowing what to expect and the fact it's all out of my control so any answers would be a great help? 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey Natalie i was going through the same as you when i was 12, i am now 17 and had the op when i was 13, I'm more than happy to discuss this with you to put your mind at ease a bit more, i was in hospital for a week post op, i learnt to walk properly again and was back at school within 3 weeks, its the best thing i have ever done and honestly the best advice is just to stay positive, emily

• Posted

Hi Ladies, I'm 24, From the Uk, I have a 69 degree Curve (Kyphosis) And am considering the surgery. I'm so scared somethings going to go wrong or that It wont be fixed, What can I expect, Will I feel the rods in my back, will I be able to bend over if my spine is fused, so many things going through my mind. Will my back be much straighter? Please Any help would be great

• Posted

Hi, I have now had the surgery and I’m 14 days post op, honestly the best thing I could of done, in terms of pain I can only describe what I have felt over the past 2 weeks which haven’t been bad, I can’t feel any metalwork and a big plus for me is that before surgery I had a right hip indentation which has now been corrected. 

• Posted

Wow thats fantastic, Thanks for reply to me, have you been able to bend ok or is it difficult,Have you had trouble sitting for long amounts of time etc? Is there anything you cannot do?
    • Posted

As I’m only 2 week Post Op there’s a lot I can’t do, I do find walking the easiest and most comfortable but only for short periods, I haven’t been able to sit comfortably but I am putting that down to having a low and deep sofa! Sleeping is okay providing you don’t move much through the night, I can bend down but it isn’t recommended so early into recovery, I find the best way is to squat down and use my leg muscles rather than putting pressure on my spine, if you want to message me privately to go through anything else I would be happy to. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.