Scoliosis survey: For anyone that suffers from scoliosis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi! I am doing a project for my university about scoliosis and I was wondering if anyone could answer some or all of these questions for my research? I have scoliosis as well but I'd like to hear from others to get a new perspective.

- What type of scoliosis do you have?(Idiopathic, Degenerative, Neuromuscular, Congenital)

- Do you live with any chronic pain? or pain in general?

- Have you undergone any type of treatment? (Spinal fusion, braces,chiropractic help, massage therapy? 

- Is your scoliosis severe or minor? 

- Does your scoliosis affect your everyday life?

If you include your age that would be wonderful but I understand if you'd like to stay anonymous.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I️ will answer for my 15 year old son... He has Scheuermann’s Kyphosis.  It is congenital.  He complains of pain when sitting, standing or walking long distances.  I️ would say it is moderate.  He wears a TSO brace and receives Physical therapy.  (Schroth Method).

It affects him because he is starting to notice that he looks different.  Of course, he is also wearing a brace which is difficult.  He is unable to do some activities because his curvature.  He also has extremely tight hamstrings.. And of course, he has pain with certain activities.  He is a 15 year old in a 70 year old’s body.

• Posted

22 year old male,

Just recently diagnosed with  

Straightening of normal cervical lordosis

Mild cervicothoracic scoliosis to the left

Mid thoracic scoliosis to the right 

Pelvic unlevelling high on left 17mm 

Femoral head high 17mm

It effects my daily life cause im nesrly constantly in oain in thise areas, sitting or standing for to long really hurts my lower back and than i cant walk properly until it loosens up. 

I get rib pains and chest pains, headaches and a really stiff sore neck

Have seen the chiropractor for treatment twice now and have another appointment tomorrow to work some more 

• Posted

Hi, 

I was diagnosed with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis at the age of 13.

I am currently 16. 

Had two braces but neither of them worked.

Double major scoliosis 

I currently do physiotherapy and Pilates once a week to try and help with the pain.

Have been told I need surgery.

I can't sit or stand for long periods of time( i.e. More than 10 mins)

• Posted

Hi, a few answers for your survey. I was diagnosed at 17 and the GP opted 'to wait and see'. I'm now 51. I can honestly say that I've spent more money on Alexander Technique, osteopaths, physios etc than everything else except the mortgage. The last time my curve was measured, 10 years ago, I was classified as moderate with a 35 degree curve. I've had moments of severe pain and have had both hips replaced, but mostly it's just a constant chronic weak back. I have a very tolerant husband who has pummelled various tight muscles over the years and I've swallowed more than my fair share of Ibubrofen and paracetemol but managed on these and resisted anything stronger - lots of hot baths with a glass of wine! I did several years of Alexander Technique and just before my first hip replacement I had started investing in the Schroth method - you should definitively talk to the osteopath in Tetbury who is practicing this - the primary form of treatment for scoliosis in Germany - makes sense to me, especially for younger patients. I hope to return to it once the second hip is fully rehabilitated.

Hope this helps, if you need any more info do send me a message.

Mandy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.