Scope

Posted , 6 users are following.

Bricking it over an endoscopy!!

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cazy, I had six endoscopys, youll be fine, nothing to worry about just a tint camera on a flexi tube that goes up your nose to view your throat. You will proably be offered some throat spray to numb any feeling ..take the spray if you get chance.

Dont be afraid, just try to block the event out in your mind as it happens by thinking of something that has made you happy

• Posted

Thats tiny camera not tint
    • Posted

Think it's the fear of the unknown and all the scare stories

• Posted

Me again! I also have a lot of problems with being touched, I shared this with my primary doc a while back and he was very considerate about it. don't know what happened in my life to make me that way, but I see touching and handling as a form of restraint. And reading the posts from a nurse has totally talked me out of it! You are most likely much younger than I am and won't have the difficulties I would!

• Posted

Knocked out is the best way. You don't see or remember a thing. Sleep for a few minutes, then it's done.

• Posted

I concur with Bill, take the sedation, lots of it.
    • Posted

The doc did the sedation. So I didn't get a bill for a anistesiologist. So why do it awake for the same price. Lol.

• Posted

Here in the UK, we don't get a bill full stop. By the OP's vernacular, I'd say he was UK based as well, probably down South.

• Posted

Hi Cazy,

My sincere appologies I got the name mixed up, I had six of the proceedures as I described camera up nose to view throat which I incorrectly recalled as being called an endoscopy which I dont think it is.

However I have also had the tube camersin through mouth and down to stomach which I believe is the one you are reffering to.

Definately go for sedation on that one, I did and it wasnt such a big deal as its over quite quickly then you just take a short rest until you come around, I als had five biopsies taken from the bottom of my oeaseopagus

• Posted

All my results were clear hope yours are too, my issue 'Globus' was totally caused by anxiety..

All the best, hope it goes well for you...

• Posted

I got to the hospital and was so nervous I almost walked out. It's nowhere near as bad as you imagine. I had just the throat spray (which tastes disgusting lol) your throat goes numb pretty much instantly. The worst part for me was the retching but it wasn't retching like I was going to be sick, I think it was the air the pump in as they go that caused it, along with ridiculously big burps. I was fine to leave about 10 minutes after procedure, which was enough time for them to sort out my notes. The spray wears off in about an hour, and they feel you not too easy for the hour. I found I didn't want to eat for about 3 hours. You get a sore throat for a day or so afterwards, but that's about it.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply I'm thing of having a sedative as I'm that frightened!!!!!!

• Posted

You can't possibly be anymore afraid than me!! I'm 65 and on Medicare in USA. My doctor suggested the test, but said it wasn't crucial, just thought it would be a good idea because of my age (I hate my age) and I've been having some off and on probs. for a few months. I have fibromyalgia and costochondritis, pretty sensitive and sore most of the time. Also bouts with IBS. Most of the time I feel pretty good, then I will have a spell with pain in back and ribs. Had myself talked into calling for appt until I read some of the posts! I can tell you they would def have to knock me out, and I read where they are pretty mean and rough??? won't be calling!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.