Scratched off a mole and it came back lighter

Posted , 5 users are following.

Not sure how worried I should be. I scratched off a mole a while ago and it never got as dark as it was before. It has a darker spot in it but I think it might only be because there is a hair coming from the dark spot. I want to have a dermatologist check it, but the soonest I could get an appointment was next month.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Should be ok. When I was young I had a longish mole hanging from my waist, I cut it off with scissors. It bled quite a lot as I remember but you can hardley see it now. Never had any problems afterwards. Perhaps I was lucky.
  • Posted

I seem to recall that a mole that has hair growing from it is not sinister.  Clearly if in UK your doctor does not think too bad and I think wait until dermatologist has seen it and will advise
  • Posted

My father had a really dark mole on his face and one day he shaved it off by mistake and it just disappeared! A friend said she had a dark mole which she scratched and it sort of rubbed off.
  • Posted

moles can either be malignant or benign.... and usualy when a mole changes shape or size and colour there is cause for concern. You should try to avoid scratching it again and be patient to see the dermo doctor. I hold thumbs that it is just a silly bump.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.