Screw removal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

It’s been three weeks since my surgery on my right foot. I had a McBride Bunionectomy and a Lapidus Fusion. There are two parallel screw along my TMT joint at the midfoot and one in my big toe bone where a wedge of bone was removed. I’m recovering well, although I occasionally  get little electric shocks or dull throbbing at the screw sites (usually at night). Is this normal?

Also, when they took X-rays at my two week mark, I noticed the screws were very close to the surface of my foot. I have skinny feet, so there seems to be only a thin layer of skin above the screw heads. I asked the doctor if they may bother me  when wearing closed shoes and need to be taken out in the future. He stated he has only taken the hardware out once in all his foot surgeries in the past fifteen years. Then he looked at my skinny feet, seemed to reconsider, and said if they do bother me, they can be taken out.

Have many of you had the screws taken out at a later time or kept them in successfully? I can’t imagine going under the knife again, especially when I still have my left foot surgery to go through!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I just had a similar surgery 9/5. I trust my surgeon. He told me in all his years he's never had anyone complain about screws. He said less than 30 % of most surgeries. I'm in a non Wright bearing cast & see him Tue first post ok visit. The cast has to come off it is extremely difficult & my foot throbs. I wish you well & I wouldn't sweat small stuff. Healing w/o complications is most important.

• Posted

My spell check fixed words w/o my permission. Non weight bearing cast. Post op.
    • Posted

Thank you for your response. Yes, you are so right! Healing without complications is the goal. I had my post op on Tuesday and had the plaster cast and stitches taken out. It was like night and day. I now have a fiberglass cast for another four weeks, but it is much lighter and the stitches are no longer pulling my skin. I do get those sporadic little shocks, but I think it’s the nerves healing.

I wish you a good post op visit and a quick painless recovery.

• Posted

I had a Lapidus on Wednesday ...he put in 6 screws, plate and bone graft. I don’t have a cast, but non weightbearing in a shoe for 6 weeks. My post op appointment is in 2 weeks.

i am having very intesnse pain when I put my foot Dow and through the night.. I had a joint replacement in my other foot at end of March and that still gives a bit of pain , but not like this! I have been very nauseous with strong  pain relief... 

did anyone else have intense pain?

• Posted

Hi loraine66016,

My goodness, you had a lot done, much more than me. I think it would be normal this early on to be feeling that type of pain. However, I am surprised they didn’t put you in a cast for better immobilization. Every doctor is different though.

I was very nauseous from the OxyContin the doctor prescribed and even with anti nausea meds, I couldn’t keep it down.  After the first day, they switched to Norco and it worked a bit better. It’s only been four days since your surgery and I’ve heard the pain peaks around the third day. It was worst for me then too, but gradually got better.

I hope it subsided and please feel free to reach out to me if you want to share. On a bright note, my foot doesn’t hurt anymore and I am able to go out and work out (on one leg) three weeks out. Hopefully that will be the case for you. And if you don’t have one yet, the knee scooter is a life saver! Xoxo

• Posted

I had disolving screws
    • Posted

Wow I Wish I knew that ahead.of time. My big toe was out of socket. It was like my toe was broken. My surgeon had to give me new socket, hence the surgery. I'm seeing him this Tuesday, it can't come soon enough. Thanks for thinking of me. Nancie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.