Screw removal from talonavicular bone

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I had 3 screws removed from my ankle on 21st oct 16, I remember looking at the clock in the anaestits (excuse my spelling) it was 4.15pm I car round from my op at 6.30pm and was home by 7.30. Can't believe how quick I was sent home considering I didn't have a clue what day it was, throwing up and not knowing where I was ! Ankle is still sore but suppose it will get better with time hey. Least I can walk about on it using crutches ! Don't know if I can upload a pic ? If I can any replies will be great fully recieved

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I got 2 plates and 9 pins removed from my ankle 14th September. Was taken to theatre at 230pm and was home by 730pm. I had the stitches removed a fortnight later and was back at work the following week. It was 5 weeks before I was able to drive. It is still quite stiff and swollen by the end of the day but I'm doing my PT and my range of movement is lot better than it was prior to having them removed. I'm sure it won't be long before you can throw those crutches away

• Posted

I'm waiting to have screws and plate removed I was told I would be able to full weight bare after

So I was just wondering why the crutches did you're surgeon not say you could full weight bare regards dawn p.s hope you continue to get better and stronger

• Posted

I was told to weight bear as tolerated by the physiotherapist and had one of those Velcro shoe things on as well. Once I had the stitches removed I had one elbow crutch just to help for balance for a few days when i was walking outside then I was able to manage without them.
    • Posted

Hi yeah they told me to fully weight bare but it just helped take the full pressure off my ankle by using the crutches. I've watched videos on you tube before the op about screw removal and everyone I've seen the patient has been awake and just a tiny nick in the skin. Screw driver in and the screws are out. Mine, I was out for about 2 hours and got about a 4 inch cut on inside of ankle so I'm thinking mine must a been a lot more digging rummaging around. So presuming that's why it's been so sore

• Posted

I had talonaviciular fusion. So curious - why did you have the screws removed? And how long after the initial surgery?

• Posted

Hey, I broke it in 1999 they said it wasn't broke to cut a long story short I ended up having it fused in 2005 but still had years of pain managed to change hospitals and he said that one of the screws was catching on my tendons. He also said that if I had pain once I had the screws removed then it's possible I would need another part of my foot fusing

• Posted

Oh yuck - especially the idea of another fusion. I feel for you. I'm just beginning partial weight-bearing after eight weeks on a knee-walker so I'm pretty far behind you in the process. 

• Posted

Hi Jessica I hope you feel better soon and get to feel the benefits of having the screws removed

I'm waiting to have a plate removed and 2screws removed same foot different sides as my foot is still very sore

Some days I walk okey for a while then without notice it feels like under the left side of my foot it's crunching and is very painful

Not sure what the problem is I have booked in to speak to my surgeon who did the op hoping for x-ray to say it's ok and a natural

Process towards healing I broke tibia in 2 places my tibia and dislocated my foot in march so it's been 7 months and I expected to be a lot better now

The screws should have come out end Aug but no appointment as of yet my plate out at same time will keep you updated hope you get on okey regards dawn

• Posted

Did you end up getting your screws and plate taken out Kenneth?
  • Posted

So I had the screws removed from talonavicular on 21st October and it's now the 7th Dec and when I walk on it it's absolute agony the pain is like a 1000 times worse than before the op. I get a lot of pain in my big toe since having them taken out. Back at hospital tomo see what's what ! Driving me mad 😔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.