Screw rubbing nerve at S1

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had back surgery 10 years ago that alleviated sciatic pain except for minimal discomfort in my left buttocks when in my recliner. I had been noticing an increase in this are for the past 9 or so months. In mid May I was on a bike ride and my knee blew up (a knee that i know is a problem and have had Coolief 3 times on it now). A day after this I started having burning pain going down my thigh and calf. I had a Medro Pak but it did not help but the burning finally stopped and then just pain which is more or less under control, I get some mild discomfort after an easy bike ride. I have known that a screw at S1 was not flush since the original surgery. My orthopedic surgeon in NY gave me a referral to one of his prior residents closer to home. I will have the screw removed in 3 weeks as well as an L3/L4 clean up at Massachusetts General. At 71 the doc felt that I am active and he does not want to mess with my back more than necessary. Anyone else have a situation where a screw was not flush and rubbing a nerve?

thanks for any thoughts.

JRS

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi,

I had a double instrumented fixation and fusion, one of the screws on the right hand side is coming out and only 3mm under the surface of the skin now.

I'm seeing a different consultant who is planning on what to do but in the meantime, this screw must be touching a nerve and the sudden electric shock it gives out makes me actually cry out, it is that intense!

I really feel your pain.

I'd definitely get in touch with them again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.