Screw sticking out?

Posted , 29 users are following.

Has anyone else had their screw start to come out? Well thats what I think it feels like. Its a pointed hard bit on the bunion site and my foot has started to hurt again when I walk.

I have contacted my surgeon who is going to take xrays next week. Do they take the screw out under general anaesthetic? Am really fed up as I was just beggining to walk properly again after 16 weeks but still can only wear Sketchers Gowalk shoes. Anyone else experienced anything like this I would be grateful for advice.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

OMG! THis is exactly what has happened to me! I am 16 weeks post op! and i thought i just needed to suck it up.  All i can wear is the skechers go walk, because it is soooo painful on the ball of my foot. Went to get a second opinion and the doc took an xray with my toes bent and said the screw was 3mm too long and was through the bone!!!! Doc said screw has to come out or i will continue to have pain.  Removal should relieve all my pain!
    • Posted

I am getting very scared!! Just had my op and it seems like the pains are never ending!!

Will have my visit beginning of Jan and hope to start walking soon.... 

Better start looking for a pair of skechers

• Posted

Hi so I'm liking this info I'm supposed to have surgery on my bunion and a bone developed on top of the joint of my big toe and they are gonna cut and shave some bone plus put a screw in it think it's gonna be scary haha

• Posted

painful and boring !! Hope to post some positives experiences

at the moment just relaxing and happy I did not cook for xmas!!!!

• Posted

In abit freaking out as well.I have 9 screws in my shin bone and 3 or so in the smaller bone Tib or Fibula,but anyways the X-RAY shows a couple screws going right through the bones and sticking out abit.I am only not even 2 months post OP.I hope I don't have to get them taken out!!

• Edited

I have a screw sticking right up from a bunion operation last september. Very sore and having to wear larger trainer. Surgery date set for April to remove...If not head to A and E I have been told....
    • Edited

Hello Heidi. I've been home 3 hours now having just had the titanium screw removed from the little toe on both feet. I had them inserted over 4 months ago and had been feeling like I had a stiff rod in my right toe. In my left toe the nailbef had a definite round ring on it which was bruised and bloodied. The nail had come off shortly after surgery and was just starting to grow back. After 4 months I still couldn't wear closed shoes or stand anything touching the tops or ends of my toes. I was convinced the screws were shirring proud but my surgeon kept saying I should give it time. Well I just knew something was awry so I insisted on having them out. When I came or of surgery he confirmed that both screws had indeed been sitting proud. To think that I'd been putting up with this for months unnecessarily and feelinf that others thought I was just paranoid.Grrrrr! Anyway they were removed under a general anaesthetic and some heavy pain killers to take. The actual removal only took 1 hour. I'm in pain on one toe but it's manageable. 2 weeks in the post-operative shoes then I can apparently start to put regular shoes on again and drive etc. Hope this helps. I certainly sympathise.

• Posted

Oops.  Sorry for the typos last night.  Was still under the effects of the Endone I guess.  Anyway, I guess those of you reading it will work out that I meant to say that the screws had been sitting proud and that they are now out.
  • Posted

Hi Jackie I'm having the same issue with my knee. I broke my knee cap in half about 2 and a half months ago and I just started to bend it and I'm not wearing my brace anymore. However my screw is poking out of my knee it hasn't broke skin yet but my next appointment is on January 3 and my knee is swollen and sore. So I might have to the ER but I just pray that you have a successful surgery and start walking again. Happy holidays 🙏🙇??????

• Posted

i hate to ask this but I am about24 years out of surgery and i now have a fire like feeling near my joint. Like torn tissue is this how yours felt?
  • Posted

Same here. Had bunion surgery a year ago and was going well. Then suddenly the pain came back and I can feel like a BB at the screw site. Feels like a knot on ball of foot and now back to limping. Going in 3 days to see if it needs removing. I too can only wear my Sketchers......I'll never have this surgery again. Been a long road.

• Posted

hi any results of bunion surgery screw removal?

i just had surgery for bunion and screw has started to move out winder if is because walk a tiny bit in side of foot to avoid walking in foot with boot and of bed to find my boot

• Posted

Hi! I'm very curious to know how this got resolved. I am having the same issue! Had bunion surgery on 3/9 and just finally got cleared to wear a show for some of the time mixed with the "boot" - after 2.5 mos of crutches. Now I feel the screw coming out and there is intense pain in that spot. Did they remove your screw? Thanks for any insights!

• Edited

Hi

Yes I did, the screw felt sharp to the touch and rubbed on my shoes but it was about a year after my bunion surgery. I went back to the surgeon, had x-rays and it was taken out under local anaesthetic. It didn't take long to extract about half an hour start to finish, I had a dressing on for about a week after from my memory. I can still see where it was and occasionally it aches some five years later if I wear the wrong shoes or boots. I hate to say it but I am still wearing sketchers for work as they are the most comfortable footwear of all time, the trainers are the best! Hope that info helps? Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.