screws and plate removal from wrist

Posted , 17 users are following.

Any one had screws and plate removal from wrist after fracture radius and ulna my CT scan showed that one of screws is in the radio ulnar joint .I will have operation for removal on 21 of February.I am three months after my open reduction and internal fixation surgery.Iam worried about pain and the immobilization after surgery.

2 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have not as yet. I go December 7 2017 for that. I was wondering how your arm healed? 
  • Posted

Hi how are u ... After ur removal plates and srew ur bone completely heal now?
    • Posted

I go the December 7 for removal of plates.  I don’t know the recovery timing but the pain from first was terrible for first three weeks. With pain medication I kept my mind intact but still numbness and hand trembles a lot on use of it 

Regards

Jennie

• Posted

Update me whats ur condition after ur removal plates surgery.. I hope ur recovery faster
  • Posted

Hi how are u ... After ur removal plates and srew ur bone completely heal now?
    • Posted

No it’s still not healed I really think it’s never going to be same as before the ‘fall’! 
    • Posted

6 or 7 months complete healing that my doctor said and eat high calcium and drink
  • Posted

I have a sensation, pain ,after plate removal surgery in arm ,how to get rid of??? How much time to recover completely?

• Posted

Yes mine is out now, I felt it did not heal very fast until the plate and screws were out. Still very weak, trembles if trying to turn hand, general weakness, pain less each day but am going to therapy twice a week . Deep massage and mild exercise. I believe has helped but I need to get more weight to lift but is slow progress. The pain is much less after the removal but still it is there. 
  • Posted

If any posters here are still visiting, I would be so grateful for advice. I am 7 months post fracture of my R dominant wrist. I have other problems, viz. 8 months post bowel cancer surgery and walking badly because of R hip replacement following femur fracture received at same time as the distal radial one. By far the worst of my woes is the loss of use of my hand and worsening pain in all parts of it. I consulted another orthopaedic doc about it 2 months ago and he was not unduly concerned about the fixation of the fracture on xray, and sent me for physio and a nerve conduction test. Latter was OK, but I could not tolerate the physio as the pain was just too bad.

Since then the pain has worsened considerably and I cannot even use the hand to wash my face! It's wretched to lose one's independence to the extent I have, so I'm wondering if removal of the plate and all those screws from old bones might make matters better or even worse.

• Posted

Just found on sending that thread is still live! Something wrong with my ipad or, more likely, me. I'll have to go back to see if anything posted since November is helpful.

• Posted

I check in occasionally, I fractured both bones in the wrist last August , had the plate removed December . The pain is subsiding but really not until the plate was removed did I get relief. Still has some problems but weakness and trembling I believe with use will go away. It was a very bad fracture and my dr says we are pleased it’s as well as it is. 
    • Posted

Hi Jennie,

I'm a bit better (wrist) since last post, but the femur has never healed well and I've had to give up and get a rollator to make it possible to walk a bit and more steadily.

It seems my long plate, cross bits and screws in the forearm and wrist were meant to stay in for good. Does anyone know why some are temporary and some permanent?

• Posted

I think it’s up to the Dr but I know after mine were removed it felt better and I think healed faster. I do know people who had the plates for several years before removal and some who have had permanent. Mine went from mid forearm across the wrist so I could not bend the wrist if left in . It went up to the first knuckle of my forefinger. So may be the reason to remove it was to give the wrist movement back

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.