Seasonal allergies are making my Fibromyalgia worse.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've noticed a pattern since i was diagnosed with Fibro when it comes to seasonal allergies....It gets considerably worse.This time i didn't even get out of the first round with this thing. I am prone Sinus inffections and it along with other allergy symptoms threw my body into what seems like a neverending flare up.

If you do suffer from Seasonal allergies,how does it affect your Fibro?Any suggestions would be great.I tried saline flush which didn't work so well.I just started serrapeptase and i think its working with my sinus.The body pain though,oh the pain.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I too suffer from allergies and chronic sinusitis. I take zyrtec and use saline spray to clear my sinuses before spraying my nasacort. Since both products are 24 hrs coverage I do one in the morning and one at night to get the most out of the medications.

Neti pots work to but I can never get it to work right.

Sudafed helps with the post nasal drip but you need the one from behind the pharmacy counter.

Delsym helps minimize the cough. 12 hr works best.

Vice vapor rub on chest and nostrils. Also tried putting it on feet with your socks before bed. Helps you sweat out toxins.

I just read about Himalayan salt rooms that help your breathing but you can also get small lamps for your house.

Make sure you have a humidifier to keep moisture in the air.

Drink tea with apple cider vinegar, lemon, honey and ginger. Helps clear sinuses and lessens cough

Try to keep your immune system in check. Vitamin c, elderberry and zinc to knock it out before it hits. Can help lessen the severity once it does come on.

And when all else fails I get antibiotics. Usually 1 for the bacteria, an inhaler to help breathing, singular also for breathing, and a decongestant cough suppressant.

I'm actually waiting for my insurance company to approve a cat scans of my sinuses. Ent wants to verify that there isn't a blockage since the last infection lasted 2 1/2 months. My throat, ears and eyes all became infected on top of the sinus infection. May need surgery to open up my sinuses.

When I do get sick it does flare up my fibro. Dizziness and migraines to start. Lack of sleep from coughing, which also makes my chest and back hurt more starts the cycle.

• Posted

I have some Himalayan salt candle holders as decor but now i will try them.I've been doing lemon and garlic tea.I'm also going to try the sock/vaopr rub angle.

I probably should have began to prepare once the sasons changed but i lapsed on that.Yes the coughing reall did a number on my chest and back.I do hope you don't have to do the surgery.That sounds like another ordeal.

Thank you so much for answering.

• Posted

No problem. I hope your infection doesn't last as long as mine did. The weather here has been crazy here this season. 2 weeks ago it was 65 degrees and everything started to bloom and then the next day it snowed a foot. It was like that all winter.

As for the pain, I always do Epsom salt baths to help. I switched from lavender to eucalyptus when I was sick. And I used salon past pads with lidocaine. With all the other medications I couldn't take anything stronger than ibuprofen

And with the Himalayan salt lamps, I have not tried them so let me know if the work. I just found a spa that has blocks of the salt in the sauna. They call it a salt room. Helps people with respiratory problems. People with asthma swear by it. Other people on this site have mentioned bathing in it like Epsom salt.

But whatever you try, let me know. As I get sinus infections constantly due to a deviated septum. It's why the docs are looking at surgery. I will try anything to avoid it.

Hope you feel better!

• Posted

Sorry for the late reply its been a rollercoaster ride for me.The sinus problems though still present have gotten a bit better thank God.I had to leave work on Thursday early because the weather changed.In addition to it being cold it is raining.My plants are loving it but i'm having a difficult time.

Went out today to have lunch with family and it was just awful the cold wind just beat me up.So now back inside and i'm feeling it.Shoulder,rib and back pain,heart palpatations.I don't know why i didn't say no,but i had Pizza and the cheese didn't help lol.

• Posted

It was cold and rained here all week so the pain hit. And like you said the plants love it but my car is covered in pollen falling off from the trees. It has set off my allergies. Runny stuffy nose with post nasal drip. I woke up coughing the other day. Back on my allergy meds hoping I can fight this off before it goes into another sinus infection. Thankfully it's supposed to be nice this week so my pain should ease even though allergies will kick into high gear. Can't wait for summer!

• Posted

i understand how you feel. only that i do not seasonal allergies. i have a very low immune system and always suffered from colds and flu. having a cold or a flu, which i have got now can make fibro pain much worse. and it makes my fibro pain very bad, especially now i have a bad cough as well. i am not sure if a saline flush would work, because when you have fibro, your immune system does not work very well if you have bad colds. all you have to do is take over the counter painkillers for body pain but do go to your doctor and explain your symptoms and he or she will prescribe something that is safe to take with fibro
    • Posted

allergies. i have a very low immune system and always suffered from colds and flu. having a cold or a flu, which i have got now can make fibro pain much worse. and it makes my fibro pain very bad, especially now i have a bad cough as well. i am not sure if a saline flush would work, because when you have fibro, your immune system does not work very well if you have bad colds. all you have to do is take over the counter painkillers for body pain but do go to your doctor and explain your symptoms and he or she will prescribe something that is safe to take with fibro

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.