Seasonal CFS relapses

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've seen other people on here talk about their CFS getting worse in the cold weather, especially the pain aspects.

I don't have pain (hallelujah!) but am beginning to wonder if there are seasonal changes in my symptoms nonetheless.

I live in the southern hemisphere, and I started getting symptoms in September last year (spring for us). I was at my worst over the months of December to February, the hottest of the year. During that time I struggled through every work day and felt constantly exhausted, sick and headachey.

By April (autumn for us) my symptoms had vastly improved and I would just have the odd bad day here and there, usually 1 a fortnight with an occasional run of bad days if my sleep was disrupted or I got a virus. I attributed it to changes in my living arrangements which made it easier for me to avoid exertion.

So, it's now the beginning of summer here and I am having a REALLY bad relapse. It started on 1st of December. It seems like every second day I am unwell with headache, nausea, severe fatigue. Most days at work I struggle with fatigue for the entire day, which hasn't happened since last summer, and I always get a headache towards the end of the day. Sometimes I wake up with one.

I haven't been this sick since it all started a year ago and I'm wondering if the warm weather could be having an effect. We've had alternating very hot and mild days throughout December but on average it's a lot warmer and more humid than it has been for the rest of the year.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Grailmoth,

I live in the UK and extremes in the weather definitely make me worse. We had an extremely hot summer this year and I was so ill every single day of it. I stayed in the cool shade, had a fan on indoors (we don't tend to have air con in the UK) and had flannels cooling in the fridge to place on my forehead. When it cooled down I felt so much better.

Then when the weather changed to stormy it all got worse again. But the heat definitely made me feel the worse.

Sarah

• Posted

I think because our cells are so dysfunctional and we have a million sensitivities to every damn thing it's hard to find a norm. I can't tolerate heat of any kind and i live in a very cold climate. I just think we are ultra sensitive to everything and that is always changing as well. You sound normal for this crappy illness.

• Posted

I'm feeling quite positive today and having a chuckle to myself..... Can't cope with it hot...or cold. Can't cope it being noisy...or quiet (raging tinnitus takes over then). Can't cope with bright light...or the dark (find that depressing). Can't manage physical exertion... don't like sitting still. Always exhausted..... can't sleep. Feel lonely at times.... can't cope with people. If you don't laugh you'll cry (Which I did do at the beginning of the week) 🤔🤔😁😂

• Posted

I'm right there with ya with everything. It's all so bizarre at times it is hard to wrap my head around this. I have days where I'm just so p****d off. Crying has to happen or we will explode. Our frustration knows no limits. But humor is my number one defense. I come from Crazy town (my extended family). So I'm well equipped to handle Insanity. Thats what this illness feels like ...insane!!

• Posted

i use sarcasm & downplay my symptoms in a sarcastic way. Luckily family & work colleagues know me well enough to laugh at me but also know when im being serious.

It is the most frustrating illness, one day you're wonder woman next you're wayneter on the sofa!

• Posted

i suffer with SAD during autumn and winter (September to February) I started taking anti depressants last year and this year have noticed a significant improvement in my mood, however it hasnt changed my symptoms or fatigue, but it allows me to concentrate on them instead of my low mood.

My symptoms all started in May this year and got worse over summer so im not sure if the hot weather has affected me. I hope not because I Love the heat.

I know not many people like taking happy pills and believe me it was a last resort but i only take them 6 months out of 6 and if it eases just one of my symptoms then i know theyre working.

It'll be worth talking to your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.