Seborrheic Dermatitis.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I think I have Seborrheic Dermatitis along with Blepharitis. As the left side of my face is Red/Scaley an stings like mad.

It is my left eye that is rreally bad at the moment, & I am trying all the things I read about on this forum.

I am using artifical tears for dry eyes. Plus wipes.

Does any one have any info as to what I can use to help with this problem, as it is very painful at the moment.

Thank you.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

If it is that bad, you should go to your GP and don't try to treat it yourself, s/he will refer you to your local eye clinic if necessary.

• Posted

Mrs mopping. I have been to my local eye hospital. An to my g.p. The hospital gave my liquid tears, my g.p. Some antibiotic cream.

So I am not just treating it my self.

But I am looking to see if any one else has the same problem an has found some relief from the problem.

As at the moment, nothing seems to working to get things improved. An I am off on holiday in the very near future.

• Posted

Sorry Mrs. Mop. Predictive text gave you a longer name.
  • Posted

I too have seborrhea of the scalp and face.  I use Selsun Blue shampoo that contains selenium sulfide and I add an ounce of tea tree oil to the bottle.  I shampoo my hair and wash my face with it.  Becareful and don't let it get in your eyes. I also use the Wet Ones on my face as well as my eyes. It has really helped.  Hope this helps.  One thing that bothers me about what you said about your condition...mine has never been painful.  Itchy but no pain.  Have you ruled out shingles?? Since it is on one side of your face and is painful, I hope you will make sure it is not shingles.

Good Luck!

• Posted

I like Mrs mopping!

Try using a hot flannel, soaked in a mild handwash or similar and place it on your eyes till it cools, repeat 2 or 3 times and do this morning and evening.  

Use the antibiotic cream as you are instructed.  Use the artificial tears when necessary, are they preservative free?  It is so often the preservatives that cause the problems.  Personally, I won't use the wipes if they are the Wet Ones that people talk about.

My Ophthalmologist prescribed Hyabak eye drops, they are pres free and also VitA-POS which is a pres free gel that I use at night.

Some of the liquid eye drops have alcohol in them , which dries the skin and eyes.

• Posted

Sandra 40102. Thank you for that info re shampoo an the Tea Tree Oil. I am a big believer in the powers of Tea tree oil. So I would consider adding to the shampoo.

Can you buy this Selsun Blue in say Boots?

No. glad to say it is not shingles, as this has been returning on & off for a long time. But the older I get the quicker it seems to return.

MrsMop. I will try an find Hyabak Eye Drops & see how I fare with them.

Got to try every thing until I hit on the right fomula.

Thank you both for your comments

• Posted

Thank goodness it is not shingles!! I had them last year and it was dreadful. Just wanted to run that by you in case. I use the Wet Ones on my face and it helps.  I am in the USA and buy Selsun Blue at WalMart.  Any shampoo with the Selenium Sulfide should get the same results.  I too am a believe in the properties if Tea Tree Oil,  Hope it helps you.
  • Posted

Mrs Mop. Logged onto the link you sent. Thank. On those two sites, both have sold out. So will check on amazon now.

Thank you for the posting

• Posted

I had stinging, itching, redness, inflamation, scaling and super dry hair...using natural remedies ( tea tree oil, Argan oil, olive oil, lavendar oil, prescription ketm. shampoo, etc) only alleviated 2 or 3 symptoms for a max of one day...Finally, 3 weeks ago, I started using T-Gel and rinsed with apple cider vinegar and water.  3 of the 5 symptoms were allevited for a couple of days...then I used T-Sal for the first wash, and T-Gel for the second....and I can say taht after only 3 weeks, I am symptom free....and my scalp, after nearly a decade of struggling with this...is healed.
  • Posted

I've had problematic skin all my life, the itch just never goes away.   I was diagnosed with seborrhea quite a few years ago and was prescribed Nizoral, it did nothing except sting.   So after a bit of reseach I tried applying Head and Shoulders shampoo, leave it on for a few minutes and then rinse off.   It took about 3 days and the scales and redness disapeared.   Unfortunately, it always came back.   Other remedieslike coal tar actually made it worse.   In the early days It was never that bad just affecting nose and cheeks.   After coming down with psoriatic arthritis the seborrhea changed up a gear and spread, not sure if it's linked to the PsA or the meds I take for; but, Head and Shoulders still works and I also use Nizorole on ocassions as well as sorbolene.   These days seborrhea afftects my nose, cheeks,top lip, chin, scalp, forehead, behind the ears, inside the ears and eyelids.   I've never found it uncomfortable, except when I pick at it, but darn it's annoying.   I wouldn't use Head and Shoulders on my eylids but everywhere else it works a treat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.