seborrheic dermatitis

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello All,

After years battling seborrheic dermatitis I wondered if you could help me?

Basically I suffed from this on my scalp and on my face. Now I believe I have found a remedy for the flare ups - being ketoconazole shampoo for my scalp and face, and using warm salt water on my face daily. I also have a topical steriod cream to help if my face flares up.

Basically now, although my face is no longer red raw it feels really dry and tight almost leathery. I have tried small amounts of several moisterisers (including dermol) but this doesn't seem to help with the tightness. My face looks normal (to a point) but feels dry and tight, and looks tight when I make facial expressions.

I have also noticed when I use some creams, it makes my face appear oily and feels oily. Perhaps I need to stop using a moisturiser full stop?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Poor you, I feel for you, my eczema in on my hands and feet, I made a mistake last night and never wore any gloves whilst washing my hair, although I washed my hands straight away afterwards. I use a mild moisturiser all over . Hope you can get good advice from other sufferers. Good luck 

jean

• Posted

Hi. If using steroids visit ITSAN.org. I used all prescription moisturisers and reacted to many... Turned out I am sensitive to anything with a petroleum/paraffin base. There are other alternatives, coconut oil, argan oil, I can just about get away with Averno Skin Relief which used Shea butter as the base. There is some research that points towards removing moisturisers so that skin can learn to moisturise itself. You may suffer a moisturiser withdrawal... There is lots of info on line. Don't give up hope. I was told that I had chronic eczema and would have to live with it for the rest of my life... Simply not the case... I am into a TSW and it's working .. Slowly! good luck. Simon. Oh check out wheatgrass spray also... Just found this ... Initial usage looks promising
  • Posted

Hi,

I empathise with you. I had some patches of seborrheic dermatitis on my face which would flare up at the slightest cold weather and result in very flaky skin which people would point out in curiosity/horror. I tried all sorts of things - aloe vera, Ciclopirox shampoo (Oilatum), vaseline and very heavy moisturisers (not recommended at all for SD, but I didn't know that then - initially thought I just had extremely dry skin), apple cider vinegar diluted with water to 50% - applied and washed off after 10 mins (this did help somewhat).

In the end what has really helped me is raw honey masks. A teaspoon of raw honey (exactly as it comes from the hive - not heated or processed in any way - may have to order online or visit local bee keeper), freshly mixed to 90% honey and 10% water (not tap water - bottled water is ok) and applied to the face. This does have to be kept on as a mask for 3 hours though. This treatment needs to be done every other day for one month. On the alternate days when I was not doing the full 3 hour honey mask treatment, I'd use the honey as a cleanser morning and evening and wash it off just slightly. The only moisturiser I used was coconut oil and only a very tiny amount. SD loves moisturisers so be careful not to use too much.

The honey mask treatment is quite labour-intensive, but it has worked wonderfully for me. My skin feels wonderfully soft and conditioned and there is no sign of the flakes, not matter how cold the weather is. Now I only use the honey as a cleanser morning and evening and only do the full three hour treatment once a week as maintenance treatment. There is a proper research study published on this treatment. The journal article is titled "Therapeutic and prophylactic effects of crude honey on chronic seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff" - you can Google it. Also on the Internet are other people on various forums discussing their successful treatments with raw honey masks.

I hope you find a solution that works for you.

• Posted

try anti-fungal supplements that kill fungus and bacteria since seborrheic dermatitis is a reaction to fungus. Anti-fungal supplements are Monolaurin and Carylic Acid. These kill fungus. You can do 1500 mg per day of each at least a month.
  • Posted

I suffer with seborrheic dermatitis and do feel that pure 100% aloe Vera geo helps skin feel moisturised and back to normal after using all the products such as steroid creams x hope this helps smile 

ps also soothes itching 

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your comments.

I think I will give honey a try when it flares up again. I will also not use moisturiser for a while as suggested so my face learns to do it for itself.

I do suggest salt water as it does help clear things when it flares up - followed by regular anti-fungal shampoo

• Posted

Feedback: I have had seborrhoeic-dermatitis for the last 20+years. I was given cortisone cream to use sparingly. It didn't work for me. At times trying to get rid of rash and flaky skin my face would end up almost raw. I then read somewhere that COAL TAR SOAP was good for this condition. I have used the soap, applied with wet cosmetic pads and rinsed off with pads. The flakes came off right away with little to no effort. My face and hairline has never been so clear. This is a cheap and effective solution and really worth a try. Good Luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.