Seborrheic Dermatitis shampoo? Is this a sign of autoimmune disfunction?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have started getting seborrheic dermatitis on scalp, hairline, eyebrows, sides of nose when drinking alcohol. I stopped drinking. It's going away some but still present. I am going to try medicated shampoo. Anyone had any luck with a certain brand? Also is this a sign of autoimmune disfunction?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Apparently it is a sign of an immune system issue.  I honestly used Selson Blue because it has silver in it and it helped a lot, try that first before spending a lot.  I also got a cream with permethrin in it and it is the only thing that seems to make my face go down...it's drying at first but then makes your face pretty.  I use olive oil and water as a moisturizer and it works really well.  I also experience it from drinking ..I think it's the sulfites...I think gin is the only thing that doesn't have sulfites.  

• Posted

Thank you for your response! 

I will try the Selsun Blue. I only use organic natural oils for my face but read they can make dermatitis worse, UGH! I also have been experiencing Raynaud's syndrome (which my fingers go numb and turn white), I hope my immune system isn't turning on me. I am living so Healthy these days!

• Posted

I have Raynauds alsosad....my Toes are white as I type this.   I will also sometimes put Selsun blue mixed with an oil onto my face as a mask… But it can be very trying so I only leave it on for like 10 minutes.  I cannot use anything on my face except for oil as a moisturizer… And in that, it's only olive oil… Because other ones like coconut and almond dry my face out. 

I also recently started taking a couple different vitamins to boost my immune system, zinc, b6, c and another one I can't remember.  I feel a lot better in general...minus the morning sickness I feel from the zinc but it passes quickly. 

• Posted

I take a bunch of vitamins and supplements. I kinda a health fanatic, maybe that’s the problem, lol. I’ll look into zinc. Thanks again. I’ll let you know if anything works! 
  • Posted

My advice would be to switch to a very mild shampoo without sulfonated fats like SLS. These are rather harsh to the skin and are frequently used in heavy duty industrial degreasers and dishwashing soaps. That will help to avoid stripping your skin and scalp of its natural protective oil-moisture barrier. 

To treat seborrhoeic dermatitis (SD) I am using Head and Shoulder conditioner (not the shampoo since it also has SLS). Gently apply it to the affected areas and leave it on for about 3-5 min.  Then rinse it off with plenty of lukewarm water. For me personally, this has worked better than medicated shampoos (like Nizoral, Ketoconazole, T Neutrogena). The active ingredient is called Zinc Pyrithione and has anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties. If it works for you as well you could get a Zinc Pyrithione spray 0.125% (but you will need a prescription for that).  

In my case, it is a combination of SD and contact dermatitis. A flare-up of contact dermatitis can trigger a flare-up of SD. The difference is that SD is itchy and scaly whereas contact dermatitis is just unsightly red and inflamed skin. 

Whatever you are going to try I would be good to apply it to a small portion of the affected skin and see how you react first (before applying a new product all over your face and scalp and risking an adverse reaction). 

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. I think I have both SD and dermatitis. It’s hard to see it on my face/hairline but I can feel it. Normally I have smooth skin and it’s rough and bumpy. Hopefully the conditioner will help both scalp and skin.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.