Second Ablation, Yes or No?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 22 and had my first Ablation in October of 2015. I have recently gotten my symptoms back and have gone back to the doctor. I am currently wearing a halter monitor while I decide if I'd like to go through with a second ablation. I don't know anyone else with this condition so I was wondering if anyone out there has got a second one. Did it work? Was it worth the risks? Did it come back a third time?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have now had ablation surgeries, the first one eradicated all symptoms for about 6 months. Then I began to see sessions of SVT once again. Doctors told me I had a second bundle. It's been about a year since my second ablation and I think I've experienced one session of SVT and every once in awhile I experience PVCs but symptoms are not common. I assume since I've had at least one session of SVT since the second ablation that means that my "bundle of Kent" is still conductive if only very slightly. I will follow up soon with an electrophysiologist to ensure that I don't need to have yet another ablation. The weirdest thing is, even when you're symptom-less and essentially cured... it still feels like you have a constant awareness of your heart beating, an anxious anticipatory sort of feeling in the chest. Like if you move or breath the wrong way you're going to cause SVT.

Almost like a phantom limb. I can feel when I (prior the 2nd ablation) would have started into SVT ... But it stops. It's still very unnerving.

Something about wpw makes your chest internally restless. Like a constant anxiety.

Ativan helps my situation a lot.

• Posted

So, having had the second ablation would you say it was worth it since your symptoms are close to never happening? I had mine done in October and started having sessions of SVT in late April-Beginning of May again. I've had 4 since and it's barely the beginning of June. I'm nervouse because I am extremely athletic and enjoy working out/staying active. I know the risks of the ablation and do not want to risk anything if the ablation is just going to fail me again. Although, it would be nice to be symptom free.
    • Posted

In my personal circumstance, it was worth it because I experienced no complications. This surgery is pretty safe and I think worth not having sessions of SVT.
  • Posted

Hi Cheyenne! I've had two ablations. I was 30 back then. The first one didn't work at all, the SVT's came back in the hospital 4 h after the ablation. I had a second ablation 3 month later, which was very successful. I felt like new born. I'm 42 now and once in a while have PVCs. My cardiologist said the extra pathway might come back. I don't know, I'll see. But so far it worked great after the second ablation. 

Wish you all the best!

• Posted

I was diagnosed at 23. Had many episodes for nearly 20 years. Had able in 2006 at

Age 40. Here I am 10 years later and now feel symptoms returning. Before my ablation I was having several times a week. My heart would beat upwards of 300bpm.

I'm frankly scared bcuz now it seems to have returned.

• Posted

My first ablation lasted almost ten years. Now I'm returning with symptoms and seeing an EP tomorrow. If I need a second I will let you know how it goes. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.