Second admission to hospital after ufe

Posted , 3 users are following.

Some of you may remember from my previous posts that I was admitted to hospital one week after ufe with symptoms of infection. The official diagnosis was sepsis. Following my discharge from hospital and two courses of antibiotics, I felt much better and thought I had recovered more or less fully. However, about 10 days ago the vaginal discharge I've had since the operation turned foul-smelling and I developed low-grade fever. A few days later my temperature shot up to over 39 C and I went to A&E. I was admitted to the ward and given fluids and IV antibiotics. The diagnosis was once again sepsis.

I'm now out of hospital on oral antibiotics but I still have fever, smelly discharge and malaise. I'm totally baffled why I've had two episodes of sepsis when other women recover from ufe in a matter of weeks. I asked the consultant who said it is because my fibroid was large (10cm), however from what I've read in the relevant literature it is not confirmed that bigger fibroids increase the risk of infection.

Anyone here had similar issues at all?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

All I can say, is that I had a similar sized fibroid and had it embolised and didn't get sepsis so perhaps you have been unlucky.  But I very much hope things improve from now on and it was just a blip.

• Posted

Jess, Have they explained where the infection is coming from? As when I received the letter from my radiologist (who is now not keen to do UFE on me) it basically said "what we worry about is infection, because the fibroid basically turns into a big ulcer & as necrosis happens there is infection risk. There is debate re the size however the larger the fibroid the more necrotic tissue. I too am baffled about this. I have to say I was saddened to read your post but not shocked. Monitor yourself like a hawk Jess & go straight back in if fever or foul smelling discharge continue. Keep safe, I'm not so sure they should be sending you home with a vile smelling discharge & a high fever, I would have hoped having already been diagnosed with sepsis they would have kept you in to monitor you daily & kept you on an IV. I know a lot of people don't want open surgey for large fibroids like ours & that there is a risk of sepsis with any operation however, I think with larger fibroids I am now starting to lean more towards surgery. Keeping you in my prayers. Look after yourself. Straight back in if this continues. xx

• Posted

Hi Heather, thank you for your kind words and your interest! Where the infection is coming from -- that's a good question. I believe (from what the consultant told me) that there are two possible types of infection, one from the necrotic fibroid mass in the uterus which is degenerating (and therefore a breeding ground for germs, as the consultant put it), and secondary infection, i.e. an organism that comes from the outside (e.g. the back passage). From what I've read, E. coli is the most common. They called this 'secondary infection'. Thankfully, I didn't have secondary infection the first time I was in hospital as no bug was identified in the blood cultures taken. I suspect there was no bug the second time either but don't know for sure as I was discharged before the results of the cultures came back from the lab. That means that my sepsis has to be a response to the break-down of tissue taking place in the womb. The question here is why other womens' bodies are able to absorb the degenerating material but mine isn't.

Re. foul-smelling discharge: though intramural, the fibroid can still shed tissue into the womb, according to the consultant. In fact, a CT scan I had whilst in hospital showed fluids and gas in my womb (presumably the by-products of degeneration). Btw, my discharge was become even worse-smelling since leaving the hospital (ugh!!). I'm hoping it's the fibroid material being expelled from the body, and that it will stop when the break-down is more or less complete. But how long will this last, six months?!? I hope not!

I think you do well to give the matter serious thought. One of the attractions of ufe is its short recovery time but I haven't seen much of that! Also, what you say about the size of the fibroid (the larger the fibroid the more necrotic tissue) makes a lot of sense, and it could be that the immune system struggles to deal with all this mass.

• Posted

Totally right Jess, take care of yourself & if the fever is still not settling right back in. Sepsis is far too serious for them not be be watching you like a hawk. Though the research I have done & just thinking about it logically it does make sense that the bigger the mass, the more degrading tissue, that it is a bigger task for the body to deal with. I don't know why but it seems more people end up with complications from intramural fibroids. So yes with a 13cm x 15cm fibroid that's intramural I am seriously considering all of my options. I am researching MRgFUS however I'm assuming once the fibroid tissue has been blasted with ultra sound that their is the same risk of sepsis as with a UFE, that I'll have to find out, especially regarding larger intramural fibroids. I have an added complication that high levels of oestrogen have caused a liver cyst to grow too big dangerously near the IVC. I'm assuming these levels are high because of either treatment/fibroid/hormone imbalance, bu the hepatoligist described by fibroid in his recent letter as giant! When reading on here it would seem there are other people who have simillar sizes & even multiple large ones! If you are not already have a book, monitor your temperature in it regularily & any other side effects so you know all the info exactly to hand, if you need to go back into hospital. xx

• Posted

So sorry to hear you have these other problems too! Is the cyst going to be removed? I know next to nothing about MRgFUS but isn't it used on smaller fibroids? It was not one of the options given me by the consultant.

The good news is that I'm feeling a lot better today. No going out yet (except for short walks) but I think I'm on the mend (though I've said that before...). I do keep a diary with temps and medicine times -- you think you'll remember but after a while it just goes, doesn't it?

• Posted

Hi Jess,

No it cannot be removed, but may need another procedure on it soon will have to be scanned again & monitored but the consultant I seen last night was excellent. I wish I'd had a gynie like him! MRgFUS is only available at key treatment centres around the world. I'm not sure if I am eligible yet. I'll let you know once I know more. Keep monitoring. x

• Posted

Glad to hear you have at least one consultant you're happy with! Yes, do let me know how you get on, I'll be looking forward to your news! As for me, I'm much better today, lots more energy and no fever (but I still have discharge). Xx

• Posted

I guess the other issue is did you get some sort of infection as a result of the procedure or as a result of the fibroid degenerating when it's blood supply was cut off. I would have thought your consultant would be able to advise.

• Posted

Hi Cathy, I don't think I got an infection as a result of the procedure. No bug was identified in the lab (and I'm rather glad for that because I believe it would have made things worse!).On the other hand, it's entirely possible that the infection is the result of the blood supply being cut-off. I really don't understand this infection vs. sepsis distinction very well although, from what I've read online, infection is invasion of organisms from outside (bacteria, viruses or fungi) and sepsis is the body's response to infection. Those of us who have had ufe, though, have a degenerating mass inside! So I guess sepsis is inability of the body to remove the rotting cells through ordinary means (don't know what these are). But is this infection? Or is it not? So confused...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.