Second ankle fusion

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had an ankle fusion 7 months ago. I am still in pain. I saw the consultant yesterday. a new xray shows it hasnt fully consolidated. I have to have a CT scan but it's highly likely I will have to have another op to redo the fusion and will also need a bone graft! Has this happened to anyone else and if so was the second op successful. I am absolutely devastated!

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

  • Edited

    There was someone on here a few weeks ago who said it happened to them because they were given the wrong kind of painkiller after the operation, which retarded the healing process.

    There was also someone whose bones didn't fuse well because of their age (late 60s), but I think the idea was that in their case it'd simply take the bones longer to fuse, rather than being an out-and-out failure.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    hi Anne,

    I had my ankle fusion 6 months ago and CT scan 2 months ago showed partial fusion about 50%

    Decided to wait to see if it gets better. Second CT scan two weeks ago - a bit better maybe 60% and Doc says that should be enough! Did discuss second fusion and bone graft but I'd rather wait and see.

    Currently walking on it with aircast boot if going any distance (did overdo it one day with much pain) but mostly having nerve problem and swelling making it feel like I have a bunch of sausages instead of a foot when walking. Next xray in 4 weeks and probably get signed off from Doc (if OK)

    Can totally understand your feelings - I felt the same when I thought another OP was needed. Bottom line is - there's no real alternative. Best of Luck


    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Hi Keith

      thanks for your reply. I have a scan on thursday and see the specialist at the end of the month. I have resigned myself to an op and hope that it will work. Reasons for failure tend to be if you ate a smoker or are diabetic. I'm neither and I followed all non weightbearing instructions to the letter! so it has really floored me!

      glad to hear your ate improving and hopefully dont need an op and the Doc signs you off!

      take care

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted


    I have finally got a date for my 2nd ankle fusion operation on 12th august 2020.

    I will need a bone graft. anyone else has had to undergo this?

    I was told on 1/3/20 my ankle fusion had failed and so needed a remedial operation.. Then lockdown happened so I have been walking around with a crack in my ankle. All this self isolating has been bad ! From a fit, sociable woman in her sixties, I am now an anxious woman, who despairs that I might never walk again!

    any advice would Help!

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up