Second bout of shingles!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 21 year old female and this is my second bout of shingles in a nine month period. Originally my shingles wrapped from the back of my left side to my stomach (rib cage to hip bone) and this second bout is located on the roof of my mouth to the back of my throat, this time isolated on the right side. I currently attend school and work 50 hour work weeks but find myself absolutely exhausted because of the chronic pain associated with shingles. I'm on anti virals and taking ibuprophen for the pain but it only mildly dulls it. It's so bad I find myself lying awake at night in pain. I was wondering if there was anyone here who has experienced shingles in or around their mouth that could give me some advice on how to manage the pain. I should mention I haven't been able to eat in two days due to the irritation it causes to the shingles.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Rachel, sorry to hear your having a tough time. I have been dealing with the post pain from Shingles for 11 month. I have been on everything the doctors would give me. I had the Shingles on my forehead, scalp and around my eye. I thought I was having a stroke. I was taking to the hospital and they diagnose shingles. My first 3 months was the worse. I know after the Percocet nothing seem to help till my GP put me on Gabapentin. I still have the post pain but it's under control. Don't let it  get to you because some people on here have to take an antidepressant. Good luck

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm sorry to hear about your shingles experience, but was glad to read you've found some relief, I will certainly look into what you've written! 

• Posted

You have to slow down, my dear. Your body needs rest and an abundance of fruits a vegetables to heal. Is it possible for you to take time off work? Shingles is no joke. You must help your body fight this virus. Take care of yourself and do what you can to rest, rest, and get more rest.
  • Posted

Hi Rachel, I'm still coping with shingles almost 6 wks on ..right side of my face around eye, down side of nose, cheek, up nose and on and inside mouth oh and scalp too. I had no idea about shingles and the pain, burning and numbness. Or the exhaustion! Fortunately I am able to sleep at night so I can only imagine how extremely tired you must be. In the early stages I could barely eat as my mouth was so sore but I kept feeling nauseous and lost my appetite so wasn't too bothered. Now my appetite is back but my mouth is still sore...even my teeth don't feel normal...I have been putting bonjela inside along my gums and cheeks anywhere it feels sore. It helps a little also after cleaning my teeth...which can be a bit difficult...I swill mouthwash around. Not sure if it does anything for the soreness but at least I feel I'm doing my bit to keep inside my mouth clean. I asked my GP if there was anything he could prescribe to put on my face to help ease the burning /stinging and he said no other than stronger painkillers which wasn't what I wanted.Ive been taking paracetamol and ibuprofen. Just to continue putting the aloe vera vaseline cream on to keep the skin moisturised. So that's what I continue to do but it makes no difference to the burning. I keep getting asked if I'm feeling better now and feel awful having to keep repeating that no I don't as it's gone on so long. I certainly don't look as bad since the scabs have all gone and far less swelling but I don't look my normal self and certainly don't feel it.I have days like yesterday when I feel so depressed and start blubbing over the slightest thing. The only other thing I can suggest for the outside of your mouth If like mine it still feels really sore and is worse if your lips dry out is to put plain vaseline on them. I'm trying to stay as positive as I can but it's quite difficult when you don't know just how long it's going to take to completely get over it...or wether my face will go back to normal. I can already see where I'm going to be left with a bit of scarring plus when I tried to put a bit of makeup on it wouldn't cover the red blotchy areas. Great...looks like I've been burnt! From reading up all I have I know everything I've experienced and am still experiencing is normal with shingles, plus the doc said so, and the time span so far is nothing compared to what others have gone through. So I know I have to be patient and not feel guilty about the amount of rest I seem to keep needing. Good luck with finding anything that helps you. As I try to remind myself it will all be over with soon one day.

• Posted

Debra, I'm so sorry to hear about your painful experience with Shingles. I hope you start feeling yourself again soon! Thank you for your advice and feedback! 

• Posted

Try plain Greek yougurt mixed equally with the highest percentage zinc oxide you can find. Keep in the fridge. It's amazing for the rash. Dries it out and eases the pain. Also try coconut oil instead of Vaseline. It has healing properties along with moisturizing. Keep your spirits up, but yourself down. Rest, rest and more rest. Happy healing!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.