Second day on nortriptyline

Posted , 28 users are following.

Recently I have been diagnosed with a daily type of migranie which causes imbalance, dizzyness and visual blurryness although I don't always have a headache. The doctor put me on nortriptyline 10mg once a day at night. I'm on my second day and my dizzyness and visual symptoms have gotten far worse? Is this normal and does it go away after a while? Feeling rather panicky as I struggle to even go to the shop. Nothing feels real. Any advice out there?

2 likes, 78 replies

78 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Little update for everyone. I really don't think these tablets are for me at all and unsure if I should double my dosage tonight as the doctor requested. I'm feeling rather 'high' , giddy and drugged up as well as panicky. Do you reakon this will pass as my body gets used to it. I didn't feel like this at the start but lately I can feel like I'm rushing off them. Is this normal?
  • Posted

Hi PinkMuffin,

I would go back and check this dossage with your dr. If you are having this much trouble on the lower dose, then clearly the higher dose wontbe any good either.

It could be a case of your body just not used to them yet, but check with him first.

Just trying to say what I would do.

Good luck PinkMuffin

• Posted

Hello and thank you for replying. It was a case that my body just needed to get used to it. I am now on 20mg which has helped a little but I'm still dizzy quite badly but at least I'm not in any pain anymore. Doctor wants me to be on this a good while before giving it up as the next drugs are far worse I've been told. I'm thinking about upping it to 30mg in a week or two to see if the dizzy spells go. 
  • Posted

I've been taking nortriptyline 10 mg for three weeks so far for migraine prevention. My symptoms are not the traditional severe migraine headache, but I have had two rounds of right-sided weakness with limbs constantly falling asleep and shooting pains in limbs, dizzyness and blurry vision / light specs obscuring my vision. My headaches are just on the right side and the back of my neck, with my head feeling like it will explode from pressure on that side. Ususally when the headache is really bad my face falls asleep as well. Super strange. My neurologist didn't specify what type of migraine, but I think my condition might be related to the hemiplegic-type. I ended up in the ER during my first attack with the doctors thinking I had had a stroke, but the MRI came back showing only mild inflamation in white matter of brain, leading to a migraine diagnosis. I re-gained strength on my right side, but after a week on nortriptyline I had another attack, this time not as severe with only my leg getting strange again, but not my arm. The nortriptyline is supossed to take a month to start preventing migraines and lessening the severity, but I'm hopeful it's starting to work already. I'd like to get in touch with others who have this condition and see what's working for them. Best of luck to you!
    • Posted

this sounds more like hemaplegic migraine and the best preventative meds for this is flubarizine,  I have been adnmitted to hospital on a number of occasions for stroke symptoms, but after tests they decided I have this condition,

Good luck, hope this helps

• Posted

Did the nortriptyline work for you ? Do you have an update available ? 

Are you able to work, drive and perform daily activities ? 

• Posted

I was on Nortriptyline for a year for migraine prevention.  At first it made me feel very strange.  Very jumpy and nervous.  The side effects do go away after a week or so, Is there a anxiety med that you can take temporarily to help you thru the side effects?  I eventullay came off of it because it was making me very tired and my heart race.  You may decide it is not good for and stop also. But talk to your doc first, he can change you med with less side effects. 

• Posted

Hi pink muffin can you tell me how you got on with the nortriptyline

Your symptoms sound very similar to mine

I have been feeling very light headed dizzy and foggy pretty much everyday for two years sometimes I get a dull headache and a weird tingling feeling all over my body lmy nose is running all the time had a sore throat along with a number of other symptoms, I was originally told I had sinus problems and was seeing the ent Doctor for a year who eventually refers me to a neurologist which has told me I have migraines he started me on nortriptyline 10mg a day gradually building it up I have been on them for nearly three weeks now and still it hasn't gone

did these meds work for you and how long before they started working

Hope your well Andrew

• Posted

i see you posted 4 months ago. hopefully you have answers by now. i know how debilitating these symptoms can be. i endured the same for several months. like many others, i was FINALLY prescribed nortriptyline 10mg daily for vestibular migraines. at first the side effects were almost worse than the dizzy spells. the dizzy spells diminished quickly, but i felt very out of it, very apathetic. after a couple of weeks those effects subsided. after about a month i had a return of the spells, but only for a few days. i've been on the drug for almost 6 months now. so far, so good.
    • Posted

Do you have an update on the medication and how your feeeling now ? 
  • Posted

Hello,

I'm so glad to find this page!  This answers so many questions!

I'll be starting on nortriptyline tomorrow and had no idea of the side effects. 

I know theses posts are older, but I've wanted to let you know that I've been experiencing the exact same symptoms you're having for about 18 months.  It took 12 of those months to find a neurologist that could diagnose me and nortriptyline will be the 4th med that I've tried.   However, I've had some good luck recently with herbals, butterbur and fever few.  I get a combo capsule that contains both.  those alone have reduced my symptoms. 

I hope you've found a solution to yours - my doc keeps telling me that there's always something more we can do!

• Posted

Hi   Just read your post and wondered how you are getting on with Nortripyline.  I have just been prescribed it but after reading about it on this site I am a bit doubtful as to wether it will sort me out.  I have been suffering with dizziness/lightheaded and blurry vision for sometime and was hoping for a good result.  I will take the first tablet tonight and see how it goes.
    • Posted

Hi, 

I hope you have started to have some relief? 

I am also SO glad I found this page as I too have been experiencing MAV for ages now, with no relief whatsoever when adhering to the migriane diet and significantly reducing stress etc. 

It has resulted in me having to stop working, and everyday tasks have become the bigeest chore. 

I finally saw a consultant who seems to 'get it' and has put me on Nortriptyline starting at 10mg tonight.

I am nervous to start taking it because of some of the side effcets I have heard e.g blacking out and worsening diziness!  I am terrified of my current diziness becoming even more increased, and I think this has scared me in to starting it.  Now that I have exhausted every other option (without medication) I think it is my only choice. 

Please can you let me know how you have got on with nortriptyline since you started, and what side effects you have found? 

I also take a combined herbal supplement  for migraines which I started about two and half weeks go which I have heard really helps.  It has feverfew, magnesium and it B-2.  Do you still take your combo capsule with the nort?

Thanks for reading!

• Posted

Hi   I am also starting on Nortriptyline tonight I am a bit apprehensive as I do not want to make the dizziness worse but have to try it.  We may be pleasantly suppressed I hope, but have got yo give it a chance.
    • Posted

Hi,

How did you get on?

I feel worse so far..super dizzy and felt wired the whole night- could barely sleep.

Will still stick to it and give my body a chance to hopefully get used to it.

Fingers crossed!

• Posted

Hi 

I took the tablet at 8pm went to bed at 10.30pm I woke at Midnight dizzy,

unfortunately I didn't get much sleep neither but the dizziness had gone when I got up at 7am,  just a little lightheaded and a bit like I was wearing a tight swimming cap, as the morning wore on I did feel a little better.

So much for them making you feel sleepy I was expecting a good nights sleep.

As you say stick with it and hope things improve.

• Posted

I know- I was looking forward to a good nights sleep! I'm glad the dizziness went by the time you woke at least-that's good.

Here's to day two! Keep me posted on how you get on :-)

• Posted

Hi Natalie well second day little bit wobbly then about 7ish went dizzy with a bad head and was like that until I went to bed. Bad night again.  Saturday was sort of dizzy all day but today not bad so far.  Was you told you could increase your tablets to 2 a day if you didn't think they was working.

Hope you are feeling better.

• Posted

Hi,

I had to stop mine on Saturday as they were making me so dizzy and completely out of it. Also had a really fast heart beat which I didn't like, and couldn't seem to sleep.

I've left a message for my doctor to call me so I'm waiting to hear what he suggests. I'm glad they seem to agree with you and hope you are feeling better each day

X

• Posted

Hi, I can't believe I found others with the same problems. I thought I was going crazy. And I think the doctors think so too. I didn't think I was having migraines but the dizziness is crazy and the head pressure unbearable. I too was put on Nortriptyline 25mg, this is my second day, not much relief. How are you doing? What is helping you?

• Posted

Hi there...I have been talking to a lot of people on here with this kind of migraine syndrome. I have been diagnosed 11 or 12 years ago with an auto immune disoder...a form of vasculitis. That is what causes my migraine. Problem is it is caused by inflammation and conventional migraine treatments do nothing for that.

I am treated with mycophenolate and interferon to control my illness and my migraine symptoms have been gone completely for 3 years now.

• Posted

Thank you, it's good to know that help can be found! I just hate the ringing in my ears and the dizziness. And I'm feeling weak. That doesn't help with everyday living. I hope this medication works.

• Posted

I am still taking Nortriptyline it seems to be working after getting over the first 3days but after 10-14 days some of the dizziness and light headings returned so I increased the does as told to by my Neuro-otologist up to 5 Tablets but I am hoping I do not need to go that far. I must admit I haven't noticed any other Side effects. I so want these to work I was sick of my head being like it was. For 20 years prior to 2013 I had suffered with Meniers disease/syndrome then in 2013 the dizziness changed to short sharp bouts and I was diagnosed with BPPV and treated for that over a no of months,  I was left with a dizziness in my head some headaches and from time to time blurry vision.

• Posted

Hi,

Just wondering how nortripyline is working for you? Has the ringing gotten better or worse,,,,I have tinnitus as well. Thanks

• Posted

I was originally diagnosed with Meniere's almost 50 years ago and was taking diuretics for 10 years to stop vertigo attacks, but started almost 4 years ago having as many as 2-8 days a month of dizziness that I had to take meclizine for in order to function. I still had 2 bouts of severe vertigo during those 10 years. Now for about 3 months I have had daily problems with dizziness, wooziness that just won't go away. Doctors now think I have vestbular migraines and probably have never had Meniere's at all! I am going off the diuretics slowly and have started verapamil a few days ago. Were you told you might never have had Meniere's? All the vestibular testing I've had indicates that my inner ear balance is OK and I don't have hearing loss in the lower frequencies both of which are hallmarks of Meniere's from what the doctors have told me.

• Posted

Hi. Can you tell me exactly which combo supplement you are taking please. There are so many out there, I would appreciate a recommendation of which one works. Thanks 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.