Second Hip Replaced

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hi all back home after my second Hip Replacement operation, it all went to plan was a great success, and both of my legs are the same length, hurrarr!! and I am at home, got home last night about six in the evening, and went to bed got up at midnight for TV with the wife, and retired about 5am.

The Epidural was fine but I asked to be put to sleep, but did not sleep, so I could feel the hammering and the Milling, as my body was moving, only slightly as I was in some sort of Medical Vice...like I was on a milling machine, I used to be a Fitter/Turner so engineering wise I was on the table.. There was banging, and hammering, and sharp chiselling, oh, god.....But no pain, and I was on the table for 90 mins.

I had no stitches again just glue and Steri Strips. There is no swelling in my leg whatever, unlike my right side that was three times the size at the ankle. I also have on a new type of dressing that is rubberised, and I can take a shower leaving it on, but just a quick in and out but leave the dressing alone, and stays on for the whole two week only comes off back at the hospital after two weeks, so have a letter for the District Nurse, in it, it tells her to leave the dressing well alone to leave well alone.

So at least six weeks off now and a great time of year to have all that time off, and back to work around my birthday on 20, will be careful not to work on that day and have a week's paid leave after I get signed back to work for better recuperation, like I did with the right side, and now I just have to wait to get my life back, the best birthday present anyone could ask for.

Thanks for looking in on my patch again and will find some shots to add here to brighten this post some more.  Kindest regards to all of you.  Ian.

7 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Glad to hear everything went well ( apart from not being asleep) and both legs are the same length! Oh, and happy birthday! x
  • Posted

So glad to hear you are doing so well. I have my second side op coming up in 3 weeks and whilst apprehensive, I am very excited!

I don't like the idea of hearing hammering etc. kind of freaks me out a bit but hey ho, I have to bite the bullet.

Hope your recovery continues well.

take care.

Ali x

• Posted

Welcome back Ian,

i wish you you well in  recovery....enjoy your time off and I hope everything goes to plan.

🌈💌

• Posted

Good morning Ian , 

Welcome home indeed ...wow, I am so happy to read your post ... you are the first 2nd hip for me on this forum - 

How about that pain? is it gone?

are you full weightbearing on new hip? 

SO many questions !!!

you are in good hands and taken care of by Sally (I hope I have her name right)-

Warm hug for both of you

renee

I am so impressed by the pictures -- makes me want to 1) buy a good camera - 2) take a course how to use that camera .....

• Posted

Hi Renee , yes that hip pain is gone! biggrin and I had a moment last night with the pain killers, and a few brandys, that I was walking without my stick, quite normaly , left my stick in the Kitchen, Sandy cant cook as quickly as I can,cool it was a WOW moment...but today, sitting here the pain is in my legs, well my left leg, in and around the wound, quite swollen there, but not further down, and I can get about quite easily on the street already with two crutches, probably just a stick, will try that later on a shorter walk than yesterday, to get some things for the evening, and a large bag of ice.

One of my cameras is the Olympus XZ1, the main camera is the Olympus E620, if you are interested in a camera go for an Olympus OM10, or the OM1, that is what I am going for, there are bodys and lenses out there for about £400, some very competitive deals on Ebay as the new models are released, message me with your email address and I can send you some links and show you my choices, I am upgrading to M4/3 next year, they have some affordable bodys and the M4/3 range of lenses is affordable and very diverse now, as Panasonic, and other firms now make M4/3 cameras, bit ot a learnig curve, but the shots that M4/3 lenses take are superb, and the prints are better than they show on the PC, I have a lot of Prints of my shots here at home.

Looking forward to helping you take better shots if you are interested and will point you in the right direction for sure.

Hope you are well.

Ian

+++++

• Posted

Hi Isn,

Glad you are back and recovering well. Take care.

Caron

• Posted

Good morning Ian, 

Wow, that is a lot of improvement ... 

Thanks for your offer re: cameras ... I just need to hold off for a little while - I just moved and would like to purchase some appliances ... like a bigger rerigerator - this is a recreational bungalow so to speak, and only has a very small one - also a washer which can be installed in the shack here - I am afraid that these items are a priority right now ...

Sorry to say that I am in a lot of discomfort and pain right now - whoa ... both hips and back ... couch and chairs are different and also mattras - 

warm hug and try  to not overdo it ... 

renee

• Posted

Nice Ian!

Take care of yourself, enjoy the weather this time of year and just enjoy growing into being able to do more and more!

I'm close behind you, soon we'll both be on our way to being all we can be again. Keep us posted so I can read up on what to avoid once I'm doen as well ;-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.