Second Knee Replacement?!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have had alot of health problems even though still young just 40 and last year had my knee replacement removed as got infected after 15 months! I then had a near fatal health problem which set me back a while. I then had a further health issue which I am just recovering from operation and looking now to have my knee replaced finally for the second time!

I am just hoping there are other people that have had good experiences second time around as fairly nervous as not very lucky health wise!? Be great to hear some positive experiences?!

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

• Posted

Good luck! Seems like you have a positive attitude. ❤️
  • Posted

Thanks for responding - I feel for u as I am a bit the same multiple health issues and not many good outcomes makes me afraid .... I hope you heal well this time and can find good health . I find depression is hardest as it makes recovering hard as well .

Thanks

Samiac

• Posted

I've had the revision and then Activision of The revision due to staph. You just have to be mentally prepared to jump through the same bunch of hoops you jumped through with the 1st one. I've had to rehab 5 times and each of them went at a different pace and with its own set of issues. I did find that I hit the straight faster this last time than ever before and had more strength as far as controling the leg. Before this last new prosthesis I had to have the entire thing removed, a spacer inserted, 2 months of antibiotic infusion and 4 months total of immobilization without bend or weight bearing. Even with that I could lift the leg off the bed the day after surgery.no had to have it immobilized another month before I could start therapy. I have had 11 surgeries plus radiation on the leg so strength isn't co in real fast butvtgey told me I would still be achieving max strength do 2 years and I'm a little past 1 yr now. As you know from your experience, every one and every situation is different. You should do fine with a proper attitude. Good luck

• Posted

Thanks to auto correct it changed revision to Activision.......I have enough trouble looking semi intelligent without technology making it worse
    • Posted

Wow, you have been through the wars Oldfatguy! (I hate calling you that!) I feel for you! Take care!
  • Posted

I've had the revision and then reivision of The revision due to staph. You just have to be mentally prepared to jump through the same bunch of hoops you jumped through with the 1st one. I've had to rehab 5 times and each of them went at a different pace and with its own set of issues. I did find that I hit the straight faster this last time than ever before and had more strength as far as controling the leg. Before this last new prosthesis I had to have the entire thing removed, a spacer inserted, 2 months of antibiotic infusion and 4 months total of immobilization without bend or weight bearing. Even with that I could lift the leg off the bed the day after surgery.no had to have it immobilized another month before I could start therapy. I have had 11 surgeries plus radiation on the leg so strength isn't co in real fast butvtgey told me I would still be achieving max strength do 2 years and I'm a little past 1 yr now. As you know from your experience, every one and every situation is different. You should do fine with a proper attitude. Good luck

• Posted

Wow Lorna, you've been through a lot. I've only had each knee replaced the same time in India about 22 months ago. I am sure having the infection can mess with your mind on this. Oldfatguy is a great example of sucking it up and getting it done. I didn't have any exceptional problems with mine. As you already know, the pain is intense and though it doesn't last forever, it lasts longer than most of us expected. When it's all said and done, most of us were so happy we did it. Praying for you as you attempt it a second time. Keep us posted on how it goes. -Mo

• Posted

Mo.........are you back in the States or are you still in india?
    • Posted

I've got just less than a month left in the States and then I'm back to India. smile

• Posted

Enjoy the rest of your stay and safe journey back. Go Wed long before your next trip back.
  • Posted

I'm devastated to hear at your age you have these problems but what freaked me out is that after 15mths you get infection,I'm interested in how you get an infection in the knee after all that time I thought it was only a concern for the first month or 2 really sorry to hear about your plight all the best...oh I'm at 8 weeks TKR and everything seems fine except stiffness and pain and the bloody swelling if I walk around to much...stay positive no matter what others experiences are you will get there......please though what caused that infection

Rick

• Posted

Apparently, we can get an infection in the knee anytime for the rest of our lives! Infection anywhere in the body is kind of drawn to the prosthesis because it's a foreign body....I think! 

• Posted

True. Before I go for any dental work, I have to take an antibiotic one hour before.
    • Posted

Really I never knew this bloody he'll. It must be more than a scratch though I'm assuming

• Posted

Really do they always ask about these things before yhey do work.on teeth etc ?
    • Posted

We are supposed to always tell any medical/dental workers that we have had a TKR. It was in all the literature they gave me to read before surgery.
    • Posted

I wasn't told this by my surgeon or anyone in India. It was the surgeon I saw for a one year check-up in the USA (I wanted to make sure things were okay since I'd never even had a 6 month follow-up and had pain and swelling in one of the knees). I can't even remember how it came up in conversation, except that I had a dental cleaning the next day and they asked if I had antibiotics to take first. They wrote me a prescription for Clindamycin HCL 300 mg and told me to take 2 one hour before my appointment. Another friend said she does too. Maybe it's an American thing? When in doubt, Goggle it, right? Well, it is apparently an American thing, though Canada was in on it for a while. In the USA it's still a little unclear.

"You won’t need to get preventive antibiotics for most dental procedures. But because you have an artificial joint your risk of contracting a blood borne infection is higher than normal. So preventive treatment is advised if the dental procedure involves high levels of bacteria." Is what I read on one sight.

Interestingly, I found a link back to this group from a year ago...https://patient.info/forums/discuss/dental-work-needs-doing-what-to-look-out-for-after-tkr--451211

So there you go. Most what I read (hard on some of them to see when they were written) say that it's not needed after two years and others say it's not needed at all.

-Mo

• Posted

Hi rbleegrip .. I was advised of this prior to my op, as if an infection gets into our blood stream it will stop at the knee where the is no bone so there the blood can't flow thru the marrow as it normally would.  I was advised to visit dr if I came down with any illness.  I have been suffering with a bursitis in my right hip for the past 3mths (TKR was done 9mths ago) and b4 I had an ultrasound guided injection I had to start on a course of anitbiotics to be on the safe side of no infection.  So sounds like we're all in the same boat with our recovery being slower than anticipated even tho my surgeon did advise that it takes 12-18mths depending on the individual knee as every knee is different.  Cheers Tracey

• Posted

My dentist won't touch me without antibiotics and after 2 bouts of. Epi staph or a staph that starts from the epidermis an found its way in on a hair folical etc. Our nephew is an infectious disease doc at a noerthwest US hospital. He tells us everyone has enough staph on their body to kill them but nearly everyone has enough natural immunities to fight it but someone like me. Is short of the good stuff and all it takes is a tiny bit the side of The head of a straight pin to do me in.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.