second opinion

Posted , 5 users are following.

My doctor has put me on 50mg levothyroxine daily after my blood test came back showing my T4 at 9.2 he said the low end of the range is 11, and my T3 was in range but also at the low end of the range. Today was my first dose and I have felt different, a bit wired hope this settles down, before I would be asleep for eight o'clock and tonight I'm writing this at half eleven haven't been awake this time for at least a year. Any of your experiences would be appreciated as a guild of what to expect thank you in advance 😊

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It usually takes a few weeks for the drug to start working.   You may be just having nerves that the pills will make you feel different.  You are on a very low dose you should not notice a thing.  I don't drink but have you tried a night cap or something to help you with your nerves?

• Posted

Hi Danny, do a search in this site for levothyroxin. There are many comments and you'll see enough to scare the heck out of you. Better to know what other people experience than to be in the dark. Also read the information that comes with your prescription about side effects so you know what to watch for.

• Posted

Hi hun , I've been the same way since I've been taking it it's been going on 3 weeks this Friday coming up.. my sleep pattern is not the same at all..

• Posted

Most doctors start out on 25mcg, so the 50mcg for you, may be too high of a starting dose.  I, myself, had a lot of side effect, when I first started the Levo.  They included.. feeling jittery, feeling wired, shaky, trouble sleeping, nervousness, anxiety, and with the jitteryness I was feeling, I couldn't even drink my morning coffee.  If the side effects are too much for you, you can always ask your doctor if you can take 25mcg to start out with, then slowly work your way up, as most people do.  Also.. it can take about 4 to 8 weeks, sometimes more, for the body to get used to the Levo.  It also takes time to build up to the correct dose that you need, so this all takes time.  It took me about a year to work up to 100mcg, which I take 50mcg in the AM and the other 50mcg in the PM, because 100mcg was just too much for me to handle at one time.  So, that may be an option for you also.. take half at a time?  A good doctor will work with you..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.