second opinion

Posted , 4 users are following.

My enlarged parotid gland, i am told, is benign but I have been attending ENT now for over two years and want this unsightly lump removed.   The hospital have hinted that this would be a cosmetic operation which could lnot be funded by the NHS.  Is it reasonable for me to get a second opinion?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Absoutley get a second opinion....how do you know its benign? was it biopsied? or are they saying it's benign because most parotid/salivary gland tumors are. I was told by my ENT that it needed to come out regardless because it will continue to grow. Anyway- I got mine taken out (and yes it was getting bigger) in Oct 2015 and it did turn out to be stage 2 acinic cell carcinoma.

Go get it checked-second opinion never hurts! Good luck!!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have had various tests, ultrasound,  needle biopsy and blood tests - but although told all these proved negative (and while I am not overjoyed at the prospect of an operation) - would definitely like to be rid of it.   I am having a word with my GP.
  • Posted

Even IF benign it would never be considered cosmetic. The proximity to the facial nerve makes it a medical medically necessary situation. Definitely find another doctor! !
    • Posted

Thank you Wendy.  Please see my reply to Stacie.   I  am really disappointed at the remarks of the last Registrar I saw.  The thing is over the last two years I have only seen the Consultant once - other times the appointments were with Registrars.    

i

• Posted

I'm sorry to jump into your post but Iv been having problems with swollen glands for two years now started on the left side then right Iv a large flat mass type thing in the right side of my neck an a 4cm lump below my right ear lobe Iv been worrying myself to insanity so much so I ended up in hospital twice being told I had health anxiety anyway finally a new doctor who listened to me an seen what I was concerned about after being told so long it was just glands no big deal! I got an ultrasound and was told Iv a benign cyst in my silivary gland below my ear I'm only 24 have two kids and my worst fear is anything ever happening to me I have enlarged glands all round the side of my neck shoulder jaw inside my mouth an quiet an alarming size one in the centre of my neck I'm so fed up being told not to worry as my blood tests are fine Iv had nothin more done other than the ultrasound I'm at my wits end all these lumps are very slow growing so I probably shouldn't be so hyped up an listen to my doctor Iv recently developed bad nerve pain throughout my body which I'm being told is most like fibromyalgia from the stress I'm waiting to see a ent in December an not sure how to cope in the mean time am I being over dramatic about this an should I be worrying so badly I feel like the doctors just don't care and are way to calm 😭

• Posted

It sounds like you need to just get them removed. The tumor I had just behind my ear was slow growing but my ent said it had to come out at some point because it would continue to grow. I unfortunately was diagnosed with stage 2 salivary gland cancer but that is very rare. I’m not sure if you are on Facebook? But there is an amazing group I just joined Parotid People, lots of different stories  and very knowledgeable and helpful people that have all gone through something. It may Help! Good luck to you and whatever you do....keep insisting to have a biopsy or removal!! 
    • Posted

Its going on so long at this point would it be cancerous ? Iv had an ultrasound which proved it to be benign but I'm just skeptical Iv had blood tests to an all were fine I'm so stressed an worried I'm due an MRI Wednesday but my money hasn't come forward for it starting to worry I won't be able to attend it I'm feeling so down an exaughted with the stress of it I'm actually just becoming totally consumed by fear an worry and my doctors won't do a biopsy 

• Posted

Don’t stress yourself out and wear yourself down. Remember this type of cancer is rare. When I found my lump I I just decided to have it removed, told my doctor to biopsy it then. I really wasn’t concerned it would be cancer....but that’s how it turned out. Just try and take one step at a time one day at a time.  The Facebook page I suggested will really help , so many people going through or have gone through similar situations. Maybe will ease your mind. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.