Second opinion for my prolapse and hysterectomy surgery...

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello all. I needed surgery for bladder/vagina prolapse. Since I stopped having my mentrual cycle in October fall 2014 my gynocologist recommmended I go to a urogenocologist and have a hysterectomy as well as this would help future prolapse since this would prevent as much weigh down on my bladder. I had surgery July 2, 2015 and everything seemed to be going fine. At my 3 week check up my Gyno said thingns looks great. Two weeks later I began to have symptoms of redness and sore when I urinated. I had an appointment with my Nurse Practitioner who told me it appeared as if I had been scrapped maybe by an instrument during surgery and to soak in plain water and let myself air out for a week aor so nothing  else. I did this but things got worse. I had infection set in and it began to get greenish. I call and made an appointment with my Urogynocologist who was baffled or so he acted as if he was. He said he had never seen anythhning like this. To him it looked as if I had been tramatized inside my vagina and when he checked inside me I  would bleed easily. He put me on estrogen osphena pill to taget the area and a cream estrogen to get my lining thicken up. This did help the infection but the redness and soreness stayed. when I stopped the cream estrogen the infection came back. He sent mem to an allergist to haave the mesh they used to bungie up my cervix and bladder to my SI joint but it came back negative. He tried a steroid cream but it did not help. He asked if I would try a compound steroid which woule be much stronger but I was learly since my Insurance would not cover it and it was $300. This was right before Christmas-6 months after surgery. I wanted until after Christmas holiday and felt i sould get a 2nd opinion. I went to another Urogynochologists on January 29th. She told me that my vagina was still prolaped on both sides. She wants to do a bladder and uterus scope to make sure they are healthy at this point and told me that the mesh has to come out. She asked questions about what I knew  about what the previous surgeon had perrformed and when then said she could not tell me anything else for sure until she got full reports from that urgynocholoist and did the scope. She said at that time she would tell me everything. She put my on clyndimyacin sypository perscription and told me to keep using  the estrogen  cream but stop the osphena pill. She also told me that steroids can make  condition worse. The clydimyacin is also a compund for the infection in my pelvic organs. It has been two weeks and I am still draining infection out. I go see her again February 22, 2016 to find out next steps. Does this seem like normal procedures to take in my situation? I have been told to sue the previous Dr. and such. I want to be healed and normal. I have had no relations with my husband since even before surgery and I wear pads daily. I feel he had ignored and  just tried to passify me at best. He has never once called to see how I am. I beleive when he sent me to see the allergist he hoped I would not comem back as his receptionist said if I wasn't allergic to the mesh I would not need to come back. Ugh. Also they tried to get me to pick up the mesh and transport it to the allergist myself.I told them I would not do this and that did not seem like corrrect protocol. The eventiuallyl had ta representative from the mesh  manufacturer drop it off. I'm still not sure we tested the right mesh even as the name didn't seem familiar. I havesent for my records at this point to find out if there was faul play with the mesh manufacturer. Any advice from the Dr. would be nice. I am in the United States, near Cincinnati, Ohio. Both urogynocholoist are research dr.'s and highly reagarded in thier field. My new one is part of a woman's group with Tri Health and goes all over the world. My previous urogyno has a private practice and works  out of Mercy Health Hospitals.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Oh, I'm 54 and was healthy before surgery. I had urodynamics testing prior to ssurgery. My previous urgynochologist also ran every test possible to rule out any diseases I may have had but I had nothing. He said I am having an inflamatory reaction to something and he wanted to do everything to prevent me from having to have the mesh taken out as the mesh shrinks and scar tissue wraps around and through it to strengthen it over time.
  • Posted

What is the osphena pill? The majority of women post on the UK website so are probably confused by this. You may get a better response if you post on a forum in the USA.
    • Posted

Hello Matron. Osphena is a type of estrogen that targets specific areas such as my vagina. Not sure how it doesn't work in other body parts. I do not know of any US discussion boards discussing this sort of thing.. Do you know of any???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.