Second PE

Posted , 5 users are following.

OMG had a bilateral PE in September put on rivaroxiban for 6 months finished about a month ago. This morning at 12:00am I got the familiar chest pains again that woke me from my sleep . I had a CT early today and yes another bilateral PE some evidence of old PE plus new ones. I'm gutted never had a problem before and I'm 52. They have now put me on Riveroxaban for life and sending me for abdo and pelvic scans to look to see if related to cancer. Has anyone else got another PE this quick?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

OMG that's dreadful for you. I'm about to finish my 6 month course but did have all the scans and specific blood tests relating to cancer. All they found was a degeneration of a fibroid but nothing else. I'm 50 next week.

When you came off your initial treatment of rivaroxaban did they check your ddimer results. If not it may have been that you hadn't completely recovered.

I have everything crossed for you that there is nothing sinister lurking and try to remain positive.

Sam x

• Posted

Mine were within 6 months and on Apixaban for life.
    • Posted

I had a massive PE in October 2014, I was mobile by January 2015, come March is started walking a few miles a day, channelled my anxiety into exercise, by June I was doing upto 500 push-ups day..., two three times a week, and then I started jumping- you don't do this when your 40+ 13stone. I didn't do anything like that in my 20s or 30s at 11.5 stone.

My jumping probably caused an old clot to break off. It set me back. I have started walking & training again last month- one to two days a week.

The doctors don't know much about vte. You have to be fit, in order to work and look after home and family.

• Posted

One thing I will say is this time I'm nowhere near as breathless but the chest pains are worse and have lasted all day. No sleep at all last night. Got back from a &be at 3.30am shattered then couldn't sleep on my preferred sides due to pain
  • Posted

Yes many yers ago I had a PE in my lung.  I was in the hospital at least 2 days before they finally dignosied it as a PE.  the doctor said it would disolve eventually by itself but I was in such a bad condiiton, ( i could not even crawl out of the bed)  that they had to do something immediatly, they said.   I was given a clot buster drug (TPA?) and I instantly recovered once I got that clot buster.  It was Like a miracle.  They sent me home on warafin and at some point they took me off the warafin and in a few months I had another massive PE and they gave me another clot buster and since then I have been permenantly on warafin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.