Second PE while on blood thinners

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi every one.. two years ago I had multi blood clots on my left lung, so now I’m on apixaban for life, my breathing is alful can’t walk up the stairs without having to sit down while I get my breath back, my consultant thinks my heart is racing to fast due to the PE, just waiting to see him again at the end of jan... 

as any one had blood clots (PE  again for the second time while taking blood thinners, or the chance are you won’t have them again, as long as you stay on blood thinners??  Just interested if any one out there as gone through this again ..

Big hug to all ok you 🤗x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Had 2 episodes of PE and am also on Apixaban as could not tolerate Rivaroxaban. Was put on Blood Thinners the first time and advised if I had another then would be on them for life, now 74, well did have another one 6 months later plus a lot of scares in the first year. Now 3 years on, no problems and don't even use my Nitrolingual heart spray.  Mine followed a Heart Attack initially which required a stent.  Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thank you for getting back intouch.. yeah I started on Rivaroxaban and that didn’t agree with me, so on apixaban now, I’m 53 and use to be at the gym 6days aweek, up until I had the blood clots, which put a stop to that, because they not sure where the clots started from, Iv got to stay on this med for life, just 2yrs down the line, my breathing still as bad when I first had PE , so a few test being done now, but you do tend to worry incase you do get another clot, thank you once again x
    • Posted

Dawn, I should have added mine started from the calf of the left knee and Doctors advise this is one of the main places it starts.  As I am waiting now for a new knee I always worry if the pain there is knee or P.E.

David

• Posted

If thesymptoms you talk about are new or worse than usual then you need to be checked now.

You can have another PE on blood thinners.

I am 3 months out of a saddle PE and often asking myself if what I am feeling is different or is this part of my new normal

When in doubt.... check it out!

• Posted

Hi Heidi thanks for your response.. my breathing is slowly getting worse, after two years I throught is at least feel some what better with breathing, as consultant said it would take me about 3/4 months before lungs improved... but they are not, it tuk them 6 mth s to find last ones, after seeing 4 different docs, and one said it was in my head the pain, that I was referred to have a CT scan after 6 mth of saying Iv gone from going to the gym every day to not being able to walk up the stairs with out being out of breath, so now bk to my consultant and he said thinks it’s my heart going to fast, Iv got to have another test on 15 jan them back to see him again at the end of jan...

I was told once on blood thinners the chance of a blood clot again is very rear, or you would be unlucky to get it again?? X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.