SECOND PROSTATE BIOPSY WHEN

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have an enlarged prostate and have urinary problems. My PSA was 3.69 in Jan 2015 so I had a prostate biopsy which was fortunately negative.

I am to have another PSA test and then a hospital appointment in late July. Will I have to have another biopsy? The first one was a horrid  experience. So does anyone know what may happen in these circumstances or had a similar experience?

I am aged 62

Thanks for any responses

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello  Why are they dong another biopsy if the last one was fine.  Were you out when you had yours.  I had one when I was 47  Hurt alot after They put 7 of these long needle in the prostate I feel your pain  ken
  • Posted

I would avoid another biopsy 

look up "the great prostate hoax" which will help make your decision easy!

• Posted

The first one came back good.  I would tell them no way.  See me in a year or 2.  Them needles hurt   Ken 
  • Posted

3.69 is not a high PSA. Big prostate can = high PSA. When my prostate was 75 grams my PSA was 9.8. After laser surgery it came back down to 5.0

Horrid as in painful or embarrassing? Did they give you a local anesthetic injection ? I had one with and one without. 

• Posted

Asks others have pointed out Mack you haven't indicated why they want you in hospital and why they want you to have another biopsy. 

Avoid at all costs getting onto the urologists biopsy gravy train. Next thing you know they will want you to have a TURP...again at all costs avoid. 

I had an enlarged prostate 120cc with urinary problems and all was fixed with no side effects by PAE. 

Check out out the thread on Prostate Artery Embolisation...PAE

• Posted

If having prostate surgery do some research on your options. Many NHS hospitals will only tell you what they do rather than what else is available. Google something like 'NICE BPH' or The management of lower urinary tract symptoms in men.

The best advice is to run a mile from any urologist suggesting TURP.

Here you will get conflicting advice as we have all had different experiences from different procedures.

I can only say that Green Light Laser PVP in 2005 was instant recovery and life back to normal by day three. After my prostate regrew I had Holmium laser surgery in 2013. Rather than keep me an extra day the hospital sent me home with a catheter in that was left for too long and I had an infection that delayed recovery.

• Posted

Also avoid drugs like Avodart, Finasteride and Tamsulosin. They will give you many side effects and destrroy your sex life.
  • Posted

If the biopsy was negative the first time I would think they would only biopsy again if your PSA jumped dramatically.

PSA test results can be high if your prostate was inflamed/infected so the second PSA is to verify the results of the first PSA

Were you put on antibiotics? Lots of approaches to consider with meds before you jump to surgery if your condition is simply an enlarged prostate, BPH.....read up on BPH on the Internet, invest 30 minutes of time and I wish you good luck and good health

• Posted

Hi I think most of us on here only dream of a psa 3.69 lol. I had biopsy 10 yrs ago had twelve needles when I asked why so many their was a little flesh in twelve viles all clear for the dreaded ...had blood for over a week and symptoms were made worse, I think we have all been to trusting of what doctors tell you. Thanks to many of you guys... And research on the net I didn't have the turp as NHS doctors suggested, but instead went privately for Urolift great improvement would recomend to anyone.

regards Dave.

• Posted

Good for you David.  Look thing up before you do anything they say and you decide.Had mine about 7 weeks ago all is well  4 implants  Take care  Ken
    • Posted

I hear you Dave. I had a 30 core biopsy!

Like you that's when my problems started. Urologist said it would get better by itself. It never did...I have really come to dislike urologists and their very cavalier attitude.

My biopsy induced symptom worsening was finally fixed with a PAE.

• Posted

Glad the PAE worked for you.  Have read a few post on here that it did not work for some of the guys.  I guess with all procedures it kind of hit and miss.  But the best is to research and you dicide what procedure to have. Not the doctor telling you this is it......Happy healing    Ken    
  • Posted

Thanks for the responses.

I had a biopsy because they said my PSA had jumped from 2.95 to 3.69 in a year and because my prostate was smooth but hard on one side. The biopsy was negative but they said review in 6 months after further PSA test. 

I assume if my PSA has gone up again they might want to do another biopsy?.

My enlarged prostate causes me problems at night. I up 3-4 times and it takes me ages to urinate. I am on Tamsulosin which I take in the morning but given my problem will ask them if I should take in the evening.

I sense the consensus on the forum is not to agree to another biopsy. So what should I ask for if the PSA hs risen again

• Posted

There is a new test called PHI (prostate health index) that combines PSA, Free PSA and p2PSA tests.

Any side effects from Tamsulosin? It can cause Floppy Iris Syndrome so If you ever need catatarct surgery t makes it difficult.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.