Second round of cortisone (first didn't work)

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had x-ray guided cortisone injections in both shoulders (I have a bilateral case - ugh), which made NO difference in my pain or ROM.  My doctor is now recommending that I get another injection (in each side).

Has anyone else tried a second injection after the first one failed?  The injections really hurt (especially the most recent one), so I am a little reluctant to go through it again.

Any insight would be much appreciated!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

my GP said two or 3. But after 2 it made no difference in movement but dud reduce the pain i did end up having surgery x
  • Posted

Just had second cortisone shot to R shoulder.First for rotator cuff tears and impingement and yesterday for frozen shoulder.MRI pictures blurred due to movement that I can't notice but put down to severe pain when leaving arm straight by side for any length of time.Taking codeine for pain.What did Dr base decision on surgery and how long did it take from diagnosis?

• Posted

Hi there.

i have had this vile condition about 18 months now I had 3 cortisone injections the 1st 2 were administered by my gp the third X-Ray guided worked it was very painful and I cried but after about 2 weeks it began to feel better and the pain became more bearable. 

Now the pain is gone and my rom is returning.

i do know these injections don't help everyone.

time is needed to recover from this and there is no rushing it.

i hope you feel better very soon the painful stage does pass eventually.

gentle hugs to you.

• Posted

hi Lisa 

My doctor said i would'nt benefit from having another injection so still in pain. I am seeing doctor in morning hopefully for stronger painkillers and going to ask if she would recommend accupunture. I will try anything now. 

Regards 

Belinda 

• Posted

I don't know about your case. I had one shot and it felt like a miracle after a few days.  That was May 6th.  The rom and pain didn't improve 100% but was improved to the point that I could sleep without pain and function day to day without constant pain.  Now the pain is creeping up and it's starting to interrupt my sleep again.  I start PT today, FINALLY after going around and around with the w/c UNprofessionals.  When I go back to see my doc later this month I am going to ask for a second shot.  All my tests show nothing but frozen shoulder, which means I gotta wait it out.  I hope it helps you, because I have had injections in my back before and it took two for it to work.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.