Second Sinus Surgery?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I had FESS surgery in August, 2019. However, I am experiencing minimal improvement. My symptoms remain the same: constant postnasal drip, pain, pressure, fatigue and nausea. I have dried every medication under the sun to no avail. I also do sinus irrigations with compounding medications 4 times a day.

My current ENT is at a loss for words. She has

referred me to another doctor who might be able to better assist me. My doctor examined me using a

camera and discovered a slimy white discharge lying in my nasal cavity.

Should I have another surgery performed. If so, how soon can the procedure be performed after the first one?

This is really affecting my life. I am a teacher and need to be the best for my students. Thank you for your help.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

i had balloon dilation og ETwith no success and then had perforated ear drum had surgery to build new eardrum and mastoidtwi months ago still always stopped up and feel like sunuses are fullyes this is life altering ! i am a teacher too plus a recent widow . Depressed hang in there

• Posted

Hi Valerie , am sorry you are going through this. Have you gone to an allergist ? You need to find out what is causing the post nasal drip, pressure , fatigue etc. Last year i started with pressure, post nasal drip, coughing and stuffiness. I went to an ENT and they did cultures and recommended surgery. I asked them what could be causing all of this and they told me allergies. Even though I am 63 never in my life had I experienced something so persistant . So i decided to go to an allergist because I didnt want to have surgery and then months later be in the same predicament. So i went to an allergist and they did allergy testing. I was only allergic to mold. I live in Florida and mold is every where. I am so thankful that i didnt have the surgery . It would of been a never ending battle. So since i was only allergic to mold they prescribed flonase nasal spray , irrigation and zyrtec. To my surprise i am 100% better. If i had been allergic to other things i would have gotten allergy shots. Which by the way people have claimed that they get a lot of relief. So i hope that before you have another surgery that you go maybe to an allergist and definately get another opinion. Good luck to you , keep us posted .

• Posted

Hi Sunflower. I am very sorry that I took so long to respond to your post. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Thank you so much for your advise regarding allergy testing. I contacted my ENT doctor regarding it and she claims that I don't need one. So, I made an appointment with an allergist anyway to look into possible allergies this upcoming week. I hope to have answers an I will keep everyone posted. Any recommendations of allergy tests and blood work I should request?

• Posted

Hi Valerie , sorry I didnt get back with you sooner . I hope you had a nice Christmas and Happy New Year to you . I am so happy that you are going to an allergist . They will check for environmental allergies and also have them do allergies for food . The environmental allergies they did on my back like 25 of them and since nothing showed up then i went back after 3 weeks and they redid them on my arm and thats when the mold showed up . Tell them that you want to be checked for everything. If you have any recent CT of sinus reports take them with you or let the Dr. know the results. The blood test they did was Immunoglobulin (IgE ) it measures the antibodies in your blood and also a CBC to check the Eosinophils . I wish you the best and please keep me updated .

• Posted

Hi Valerie, I don't have a solution for my own sinus problems too but i also don't feel quite right to have surgeries again and again (I had one 20 years ago). I just want to wish you and our fellow patients all the best. Let's stay positive in looking for a solution.

Ming

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.