Second time on Lexapro

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I was on Lexapro 10mg for ten months and it worked, I tapered over a month in November due to sexual side effects and had an anxiety and stress meltdown over Christmas, plus returning depression. Various stressors apart from the Christmas season.

I started again, ten days ago at 5mg and three days ago increased to 10mg.

Has anyone restarted taking Lexapro a second time? I ask because when I started the first time I had terrible side effects after taking my first dose. Nausea, increased anxiety, inertia etc. But apart from constipation, so far I haven't had any side effects. Is there anyone out there who has stopped and started again who can tell me their experience.

I guess I'm a bit worried that no side effects means that the drug won't work second time around.

Thanks for your comments.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Long story short - you tapered too quickly - hence the returning symptoms, and if my calculations are correct, you were only clean off the Lexapro for around 3 weeks, so you won't get much in the way of start-up symptoms because you have barely given your neurochemistry time to change...

I suggest you stabalise on the 10mg again, and when you are back in the place you were when you decided to taper off that you do so a lot slower.

• Posted

Thanks Matt, that's helpful. I've tried several ads in my life and Lexapro is the only one that has worked. I felt good apart from libido side effects and jaw clenching. The GI effects I can cope with. I guess we all have choices and mine, after a lifetime of anxiety and depression, is to stay with Lexapro. Coming off it made me realise how good I felt on it. Thanks again.

• Posted

Could the increase in anxiety and depression have been due to withdrawl rather than your body/minds natural state? A month isn't that long to give it, Try as Matt said to stay on 10mg until your body readjusts and stabalises then taper very slowly, even dropping 2.5 every month.

• Posted

Thanks LinzS, I don't know tbh. Christmas is a stressy time anyway but there were other deeply upsetting events as well. After a lifetime of depression and anxiety, once I was off Lexapro I realised how much it had helped me. First time around it took eight weeks to have an effect, I've been back on it for two weeks, 5mg then 10mg for the second week.

I think Matt is right, it was out of my system for such a short time that I'm not getting the terrible side effects I had first time round. Apart from constipation and inorgasmia. And I feel good again, quicker this time.

I think I might stay on it long term. I feel so good on it. And nothing comes for free!

• Posted

joss if lex worked before it will work again

and matt and liz are correct the taper was too fast. there is very little info on tapering these meds . most drs do not know. withdrawal symptoms mimic the symptoms you went on the ssri to start with so we think oh its back and i will just have to stay on it ( some drs think this way also). for many years the withdrawal symptoms made me think i needed the medicine. there are a few good resources to correctly taper and withdrawal. i can pm it to you if you want me to? i too thought i would just stay on ssri for life and put up with ses but i was wrong! if you do want to taper down - first stabilize on your current dose this may take 3 months or longer then adjust dose down no more than 10% of the dose you are taking at the time you are going to reduce - per month. example current dose 10 mg lower to 9 mgs for 1 month. then current dose is 9 mgs so lower to 8.1 mgs for 1 month and so forth. you can go slower than %10 per month. slower the less withdrawals. go no faster than 10% per month to minimize withdrawal symptoms. i am no dr these are only from my experiences!

good luck joss

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.