Second TKR in 9 months - scar question

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello to the people who kept me sane last time

I had my 2nd TKR in 9months ( different knees). I have had totally different experiences yet same surgeons etc. I am two weeks out and ok so far. Pain bad and struggling to control as on max dose of codine and paracetamol, I am using voltarol gel and ice too. I don’t want anything else as feel so sick when I change meds. 

My  question is about the scar. My stitches came out on Friday and she asked me to keep it covered for 24 hours as she had to pull scabs to get stitches out. She felt they should have been removed at 10 days. Anyway now I am just letting water run over  the  scar in the shower and scabs have formed again. I am letting it dry naturally  and not yet touching it. It does feel odd like last time with cloth over it but allowing this. 

I cant remover if I wait for scabs to fall off before I massage the incision. I struggled last time but my other scar is fine. I used bio oil. 

Any suggestions as I got an infection last time and feel it was because I used oil on incision too soon. 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The incision needs to be fully healed and closed before getting wet or putting anything on the incision line. Most risk of infection occurs with exposure to bacteria or foreign substances getting into a wound so I suggest not massaging with any oil or lotion until the scabs have fallen off naturally and revealed intact whole skin. 

Best wishes for continued healing!

• Posted

Don't mess with the scabs!!!! I a large scab formed after they took out my staples and my surgeon made it very clear that I should not mess with it, just let it heal. If you want to do massage therapy just do it around the scab. The scab will probably fall off and reform as the skin starts to heal. After my scab finally came off it did leave a large discolored area underneath. I'm 5 months post op and the discoloration is still there. I'm guessing it will be there for life and I will just add it to all of my other scars lol.

Good luck and I hope you heal fast!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.