Second TKR looming!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone. I had a knee replacement last March and the other one now needs doing so set the date for 20 January...  Not looking forward to it as its a tough journey recovery but wondering whether to ask for nerve block before I come round.  Last time the 

pain was indescribable upon waking and wonder if it was necessary to go through that?  I had a general anaesthetic not epidural, I couldn't risk being the slightest bit aware during the op!  Anyway got to look beyond that as the benefits of the new knee far outweigh the negatives. I found this group so helpful and encouraging last time, I hope everyone is doing ok.  X

3 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I agree totally with you that some help with the pain on coming out of the anaesthetic is really something we should be given.  Although I had an intradural, the effect wore off about three hours after the operation, and that first night was unbelievable.  If I'd known about nerve blocks etc. I would have been pestering the anaesthetist for one too!  It would also help with that first time the physio comes to move the knee!  Don't know where you are, but try being very insistent!!!  These doctors are very fond of just letting us suffer rather than using all the wonderful systems that exist to block pain!  Lots of luck for January 20th!

• Posted

Hi Matina I remember you from last time I was on here.  I am in Essex uk. I will be a skiing for some sort of nerve block upon waking as it took an hour to get the morphine at the right level for the first night.  Eugh. Anyway thanks and onwards and upwards eh!  X
    • Posted

I just popped back into the forum to see what people were upto   so you are in for the second one?  Best of luck . .at least you know exactly what you are lettin yourself in for!!!  Mine is gret now. . .still numb in the thigh, but I'm used to it, and think it will be permanent really . . .not a big problem.  I'll take numb over pain any day!!!

• Posted

Hi Elaine

I had general X nerve block 7 wks post op doing brill discharged from hospital having 1 more private Physio session I 2 need my other knee doing

Good luck

Rob x

• Posted

nerve block upon waking from the op? I found I was fine in hospital it was when I got home and responsible for my own meds that confusion kicked in, ended up having to write it all down in a book so I knew what I'd had when.  Cheers x

• Posted

I had the spinal block and yet they still gave the top part of my knee a numbing shot also, (probably protocol) and did not have alot of pain because I had more relief thru an IV.  After the IV I was on oral pain relief that made me soooo nauceous and they took so long coming around with anti-nauceous meds to help that I couldn't do PT the first morning.

• Posted

Lynn did you have any recollection of the op?  I couldn't bear to be able to hear or feel tugging or anything?! X

• Posted

I had the epidural- fantastic! I was given a sedative so I drifted in and out of sleep. I had little or no pain - recovered quickly!
    • Posted

did you see hear or feel anything?  They say epidural is the best way but I'm terrified of being paralysed afterwards! X

• Posted

You hear the grinding of whatever is used to smooth the surfaces and hear the saw, as well as hear and FEEL the forceful pounding of seating the parts into the ends of your bones.  Not a big deal, it's just what's involved

• Posted

Crikey I don't think i could cope with any recollection of the op. X

• Posted

Hi.elaine

I had my 1st tkr in august and. L.opted for general but the pain waking up was terrible. It was worst pain l have ever had. I had my 2 hips replaced one in dec last year and the other in feb this year so thought the knee could not be any worse than the pain l had from both hip replacements. I was so wrong it was twice as bad. I am due to get my other knee done but am holding off as long as l can as l am so scared to go through it all again plus l am scared of opting for the spinal and sedation as l don't want to wake during op at all or hear anything thats going on as this scares me even more. I am hoping my other knee does not get to the point l can't suffer the oa pian and my body is still healing from having the 3 major ops in the one year. I am doing fine but recovery is hard as its not just new hips l am getting used to its also a knee. I am trying my hardest to get some normality back in my life but know at the back of my mind l still need the other knee done. I know they say you feel like a new person after getting hips and knee replaced and yes my hips are great but l am not the same as l was or don't think l will ever be. I get stiff and sore a lot esoecially in my job and have found out there is no way l can di full time like l used to at the moment as l get to tired and sore at times. I am only working 2 days a week but soon have to go up to 3 when l run out of holidays. I just hipe my knee can last me 6 months to a year but l have doubts about that but l need my wage and if l can stay at work long enough ti get my entitlment back to be paid for being of sick again l will be over the moon. I am dreading it as l lost all my confidence in the year l was of and my job does not seem important anymore. I have lost my ambituous side l just feel life is more important than work now. I have worked full time since l was 16 and am 43 now and my outlook on life is totally changed. I work to live now where as l used to love to work.

Having 3 major ops in one year has took its toll on my body both mentally and physically. I want to live my life now not work everyday abd be miserable in my job. Having OA has changed me as a person. But l know l have to go on and hopefully l will feel better eventuallly its just been a very hard year and. with the other knee op looming l am terrified as the 1st one made that much of an impact on my life.. so much more tgan my hips. I think if it was just my hips l would be happy at the outcome as they did help my OA but the knee was hard..

Good luck l don't mean to sound negative its just l know what you mean about getting your other knee done.

Laura

X

• Posted

Hell lors23 I popped back in here to ask for some further advice and just seen this.  Yeah sound like all this has made your rethink everything's. Surgery like this is hard in recovery and  are strong to get through it with no adverse negativity.  Keep your chin up her doing fantastic. My 2nd tor is on 2 January. Arrgghh! Xx

• Posted

Hi Elaine

Good luck in your 2nd op l am sure you will be fine. So quick after xmas but at least thats getting it out the way.

Hope you have a great xmas and new year try not to think abt it (easier said than done) but you have done it before you can do it again.

Best wishes

Laura x

• Posted

Thanks Laura. It really helps having the support from this forum.  I will be in touch again! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.