Second toe lifting away after surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi all, another question from me. i had minimally invasive surgery for bunion two and a half weeks ago and dressings off three days ago. .Since then whenever i put my foot down the second toe lifts right off the floor and away from the big toe like it has a mind of it's own. Even if i make a conscious effort to put it down it wont stay there. Has something gone wrong with my surgery and some damage been done to this toe? Thanks for any advice.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I had the same thing with my big toe (mine stayed up all the time but worse when put down). The doctor was certain he didn't cut a tendon or muscle). I couldn't flex or extend my toe either so what he did was force my toe down by taping it and leaving it taped down for a week. It was awful but did do the trick. I ended up taking the tape off after 6 days because it hurt so bad and my foot was purple. I attached a photo of it to show how it was taped and how my toes are purple. Took this to show the doctor why iI removed the tape.image

• Posted

Picture of how it looked as compared to other foot.

• image****
    • Posted

my foot is that colour, glad its not just me!!

• Posted

i do wonder if its a reflex action by the toe to stay away from pain! My toes are very mobile. i dint like the tightness between the toes though , I hope it settles.

• Posted

The mysteries of foot surgery. I had bunion surgery plus hammertoe on the next toe. Now the third toe is staying up. I am taping it down too. But only occasionally. Good luck!

• Posted

hi Simona. Thanks for your reply and photos. i did wonder if its some kind of reflex action by the toe as you go to step down, like the toe is arching away in case of any pain. This may be why yours was held down. I also have a tight feeling between the toes, like I am wearing a flip flop or something that goes between the toes. may be nerve damage that may settle down (I hope!!!) I have luckily got an appointment to go back and see my consultant next week so can let him have a look at it and see if he thinks its ok.

• Posted

sorry Darna. Thanks for your photos. I'll let you know how i get on. Its so worrying .

• Posted

I can't answer your question, but thought I would chime in to say that I had bunion surgery and hammertoe surgery on my second toe, the toe next to my big toe. My third toe now does what you are describing, and I am having so much pain between both my big toe and second toe and my second toe and third toe. The incision to repair the hammer toe goes a ways into my foot and toward the third toe. I am eight weeks post-op and thought I would be having less and less pain, but I think I have as much as I have ever had. The incision areas are much less sensitive, but otherwise the pain is still miserable.

Anyone out there with any encouraging insights?

• Posted

hi Patsy, thanks for your reply. i am due to see the consultant tomorrow so hopefully can find out some more but the second toe of mine just seems to have a life of its own and I'm so worried its nerve damage. Last night the tight band feeling was irritating me so much. I had minimally invasive surgery and hoped for a swift recovery with not too much pain but i fear that's not going to happen! i would be interested to know if anyone has this lifting toe that has resolved in the end. ?

• Posted

Hi Alison, I had my bunion removed 8 weeks ago and it has healed up nicely with no problems walking. But I was given some exercises for my big toe and it could be what you need to do with your second toe. I was told to hold my toe up for a count of twenty then hold it down for a count of twenty. Repeat about four times several times a day. The nurse told me it was to prevent my big toe from "flapping." It might be worth a try. Good luck.

• Posted

Please post after you see your consultant. Your information may help some of the rest of us figure out our own situations.

• Posted

hi Patsy. just to let you know i had an appointment with my consultant today. He was not concerned about the second toe as he said this is the toe that has been pushed across by the big toe and that all the nerves will settle down but the best thing is just to exercise the toe and hopefully it will move into place in time. he said yes he could do a procedure to straighten it but then i would not be able to move it and i have very flexible toes so i don't fancy that. i really think the less you mess with feet and surgery the better. I also have a fallen arch on my other foot which has been very painful and there is no way I'd have surgery on that unless i actually couldn't walk !! i hope to continue to improve if i exercise the foot enough.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.