Second total hip replacement four days ago and feeling sorry for myself!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Here I am again, surely feeling the same things that I felt with the other hip last August. Of course, the hip discomfort that is to be expected. But I cannot/ will not take the serious pain meds as they make me feel tired and nauseous. Still seriously constipated despite the Miralax, stool softeners, Milk of Magnesia, prunes, Rain Brain and enema. And a lovely swollen ankle. And, of course, the crying jags. And lack of appetite. Thank goodness I only have two hips!

3 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Ooh, i remember this after I had my enforced revision. Even though you know what to expect, it doesn't get any easier.

Best wishes

Graham

• Posted

Been there. Done that. Sorry to be blunt but Dr increased my zoloft and Xanax at night and it has helped.
  • Posted

Give yourself a break and take the pain pills especially at night, you are going to have a poor appetite  and be exhausted for the first two weeks so you may as well feel more comfortable. Your body is in shock from major surgery and you will do your exercises better with some pain relief. Just my two cents good luck
    • Posted

Thank you, Bridget. I have gone back to taking them at night and they do help me to sleep. 
  • Posted

Hello Anne68156. I do feel for you, I had my THR last Wednesday and came home on Friday. I refused the oxycontin they were giving me as they made me feel sick and am just using paracetamol as a precaution but, pain wise I have not had any. I am constipated and the dulcolax they gave was not a success, I need to sort that, I take magnesium anyway. I suppose I have been fairly lucky with no brusing, pain and minimal swelling. Biggest problem I have is sleeping on my back, I never do it therefore, I am not sleeping and yesterday I did get depressed and wondered how to get through the next three months. I am sitting up in bed all night and packing myself with pillows.
    • Posted

Hi Jen,

I'm glad that you have no pain. I do have some groin discomfort which is exactly what I had with the other hip. And it lasted for several weeks. Finally got through the constipation. I slept on my operated side from night two when I got home. I would not be able to sleep on my back so I do sympathize with you on that. Fatigue is my biggest enemy right now. I did see the doctor to get something to help with the Blues, so I have not been crying since starting that medication. Let's hope that brighter days are ahead.

• Posted

Ann, that is amazing you slept of the operated side so soon, I have been told that is a no no.

When the pain in my hip got really bad that was when I used to be fatigued, I am hoping that is now in the past, time will tell. I am getting bone/muscle aches which I expect as it is healing and the reason I am taking paracetamol but that is nothing compared to the pain I had.

I made the classic mistake of emailing a friend the other night just when I felt depressed, when I read their reply in the morning I realised how whingy I sounded, I think it was lack of sleep. I think it will be easier to move when I have the clips out next Wednesday, just hope it does not hurt too much.

The constipation resolved itself today thank goodness!

I hope you pick up soon and start to feel better.

• Posted

With the anterior method of hip replacement, there are no restrictions on sleeping on the operated side. It felt comfortable to do so from the second night on. My staples will be removed on Tuesday and I look forward to that moment as some sign of progress!

I did have somewhat of an appetite last night and this evening so that is an improvement. 

Let's hope that we are both on our way to a full recovery!

• Posted

Anne,

Apart from you having anterior and me posterior we will be running on the same time frame. Normally I am very good about eating but since the operation I am always hungry. When we were moved to the high dependency ward after op , we were given tea and toast because the mouth was so dry it took several hours to eat the toast. Had a couple of days due to painkillers making my feel sick which disrupted eating but since then I just want to eat.

• Posted

I’ve made total hip replacement in France 3 months ago. The result is really great. I addressed Medifrance Solution and they helped me a lot in organizing everything!
  • Posted

Been there done that. I'm nearly 4 weeks after second hip. I know how you feel. Glad I have only 2 hips. 

Take care Madla💗

• Posted

Well, here I am almost four months after my second hip surgery. And today the weather cooled just enough for me to try what used to be our every day walk with the dogs. It is just over a mile, up and down hill. And I managed it with very little problem except for those two little loose dogs who drove our two dogs crazy! I knew that my most recent hip surgery recovery was going well, but I had been having a lot of thigh pain on the side that was done last August. I've even had a nerve test done (everything OK) and was scheduled for a bone scan. But recently I have done quite a bit of swimming. And I also discovered some leftover Meloxicam so I started taking one a day. I have now cut back to 1/2 a day as I only have a few left. And I'm doing so much better now! Don't know if it is just time, or the swimming, of the Meloxicam, but let's hope that I haven't jinxed it! Finally starting to feel normal again after nearly a year from when the first hip was replaced.

• Posted

Good to hear that you are doing better. Swimming is good. Onwards and upwards!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.