Secondary cause?

Posted , 4 users are following.

has anyone in their 20s been told their hypertension is essential but then later found a secondary cause? also how high were your numbers?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Well, rather later than my twenties but I found a secondary cause - the use of the supplement turmeric and the MAOI "cheese effect".

FWIW my numbers were somewhere over 150/100 before drugs, but would vary quite a bit for reasons I couldn't figure, until I figured this out.

• Posted

jx41870...glad you were able to figure it out. A lot of people take supplements thinking they are simply THAT...supplements...no harm will be done., but that couldn't be further from the truth. How much tumeric were you taking???

Again, glad you got to the root of the problem!

Cheers, Mate!!!

• Posted

@mike92384, no heroic amounts of turmeric/curcumin, either a teaspoon or so of raw turmeric powder, or a 300mg capsule of the concentrated curcumin.

The trick is it depends on what you take it with.

High tyramine foods can be as innocent-looking as a piece of cheese, and the effects don't show up until like twelve hours later.

Indeed, I now suspect it interacts even with one of the other supplements I've taken it with, though have not identified which, so I now take it separately when I take it at all.

• Posted

rosi76422...when doctors use the phrase "idiopathic" or such as in your case..."essential"., this means they don't know the cause. If you found a secondary cause...good for you!!!

Some people just can't. I likely am one of those people. My bp is a bit on the high side., but of course I could lose some weight, which I am in the process of doing. I don't believe in swallowing all sorts of supplements thinking it will lower bp., nor would I start drinking beet root etc.etc. What nonsense.

If you indeed have found a secondary cause, please do share it with us. Good luck

• Posted

Having high blood pressure in your 20's would suggest to me that a full investigation needs to be done before throwing a combination of BP drugs at someone and then write-up a diagnosis of essential hypertension.

Paul

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.