Secondary Cushings????? Is there such a thing and can it turn to Addisons

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have issues with my autonomic nervous system, particulary flght or flight responses. Three years ago my cardios had me tested for an adrenal tumour as my BP is highly unstable. Tests came back negative and at the time the majority of results placed me in the range of Cushings although my cartisol was extremely low then raised after a second test

Go forward 3 years, for the last 20 months I have had to deal with recurrent pneumonias, they are querying asthma and my Cardios feel its more linked to dysfunctional breathing but I threw another low cortisol reading at 58 a few weeks ago so was referred for an ACTH stimulation test

Yesterday I got the results - Cortisol was no longer low but high and ACTH pushed this really high. Other pointers suggested Cushings but because of the variations in BP and Cotisol the Endos thought it was secondary Cushings which I had never heard of

I was told that having repeated courses of prednisone isnt helping (8 in the last 16 months) and that if this were to carry on im at severe risk of developing Addisons within 5 years. 

I just feel so confused right now. My cardiologist said my cortisol may be just as unstable as my BP, but the Endos mentioned levels of Immunglobins  in the red and eosinophils that climb even on steroids. None of this actually makes sense so Im hoping someone can give me a little more info on why they say Secondary Cushings, why they gave me all the warnings about adrenal fatigue and how I deal with this given those warnings are the same symptoms as I have with my other medical conditions

Feel so lost right now - who do you recommend as the best person to see in the UK right now ???

Thanks

Alison

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I have Alison Evans who is based in Gloucestershire.  Professor Wass is the leading man he is based at Bristol.  If you tell us where you are in the UK maybe we can find someone for you. Good luck and loet us know if we can help.  There is light at the end of the tunnel and it is NOT an oncoming train!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.