Secondary erythrocytosis, do i have cancer?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I’ve been diagonosed with secondary erythrocytosis , haven’t been told much by my doctor yet as waiting on appointment but as soon as i type it in the internet it comes up with cancer. It says it’s related to polycythemia vera. 

Does anyone know if this is a cancer? It’s where I have a high number of red blood cells or something.

Does anyone know if this is cancer and the treatment/cures for it?

No sugar coating please, want to know the truth.

Thanks.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi!

sorry to hear about your worries.There are 2 types of erythrocytosis -primary and secondary.Polycythemia vera rubra is the primary eryhthrocytosis.It is quite complicated to tell if it is cancer or not.It cant spread to other organs,but it can transform to leukaemia.The general lifespan is unclear.

Secondary polycythemia is associated with an underlying disease that causes high RBC.It is not cancer,but it can be caused by renal or adrenal gland tumor and many other not cancerous diseases.The prognosis of patients with secondary polycythemia is generally related to the prognosis of the underlying disorder.However, the polycythemia itself, when physiologic and not sufficiently extreme to cause significant hyperviscosity, is generally associated with a normal life span.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.