secondary frozen shoulder,how long was your duration of intense pain phase?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, had a labrum surgery end of may-17, ended up with frozen shoulder/adhesive capsulitis, they did a capsular release 8 weeks ago. first week good mobility, trained my movements everything was fine.. suddenly after 8days started to get awful pain in the shoulder, more and more couldn´t coup with anything after a couple of days I had a burning pain like the hole shoulder was going to explode and down my arm to my hand..

after 3-4weeks started to loose movement in the shoulder again.. Have had to use oxykodon (opioids) NSAID and regular painkillers.. the opioids was the only thing that made me function and not just cry of the horrible pain..

Now I wounder how long did you have to use opioids/morfin? how long did this mots horrible pain phase last for you? when could you coup with regular painkillers?

Doing movements is out of the question,, gives more burning pain..

Should mention that I have experience from FZ as I am a Physiotherapist.. but none of my patient has been in this kind of pain...

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anette,

I had the MUA release three weeks ago, I'm STILL on Oxycodone, I can't get through a PT session without them.  I too am starting to loose ground that I once had even last week.  I don't think I was done 'freezing"... Neither does my PT.  Mine started to freeze in April.  I haven't switched to a regular pain killer yet, but I'm going to try this week, I really want to get off these Pain pills.  I'm also taking Mobic (an anti inflammatory)  along with them to help with inflammation and it really does seem to take the edge off.  It has helped with the horrible burning pain that shoots down my arm, seems to just radiate in my bicep area.  I sleep in a recliner, it's the only way I can get any sleep, been in my chair since August when it got really bad.  Even since my MUA release, I'm still in my recliner.

IF you had surgery in May, then after that it started to freeze, you may not be done freezing.  so any PT or stretching will just keep aggravating it?  I'm no Dr... everyone is different.  My TWIN sister had this 3 years ago, her freezing stage lasted 11 months!!  it's been 3 years for her now since the start, she is pain free but still does not have full ROM back.  Good luck, I hope you can find some pain relief, I can totally relate to that.

• Posted

Hi, hope it turns out better for you than for me and that you van keep some of the mobility in your shoulder.

I did´nt have any pain after my labrum surgery in may,, I just could´nt get my full range of movement back, Orthoped said scar tissue/adhesive capsulitis. Capsular release was done 4 months after first surgery (4 okt)..

Now I´ve been in excrutiating pain for 8weeks.. I can´t take antiinflammatories any more,, my stomach gave up.., oxycodone gives me paresthesis,,muscle cramping and nasuea..amongst other side effects.

Did your sister have to eat opioids for 11 months? or how long was the most painful stage? how long did you have severe pain befor the MUA?..

sorry for my english,, i´m from Sweden.. but we don´t have any good patient forums here...

• Posted

my severe pain started in August, I couldn't take even putting pillows behind me in bed by September so I got a recliner to sleep in, which it does help to sleep (if you can) in a recliner, sitting up, not reclined back. I didn't take anything but Mobic and Tylenol. (I have a very high tolerance to pain).  Since the MUA on Nov 14th I've been on Oxycodone.  last night I tried to not take one, but gave into the pain.  During the day it calms down some, it's ok with Mobic (anti inflammatory) and Tylenol, but for a big stretch and PT, I have to take the Oxy or I can't make it through it.  BUT I didn't start taking those Oxy's until the MUA... Be sure you're eating enough when taking those pills, they make me icky too.  So my severe pain started 4 months ago, more so at night.

When My sister when through it, she didn't take the Oxy's until her surgery to release hers, they went in and had to shave down the socket too.  I think she was on them for at least a month or two... but the last month she only took when she had to do PT.  She was in severe pain for at least 3-4 months too, before her surgery. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.