SECRET DRINKER UPDATE 2

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all

Following on from my last two discussions, I thought I'd share the latest saga on this subject. Regular posters will remember the problems my daughter in law had after discovering her mother was secretly drinking.

Any new members can see my previous discussions, rather than me repeating everything.

To cut a long story short, my daughter in law had a phone call from the hospital, informing her that her mother was back and being transferred to ICU, following an emergency admission.

Her mum had been doing so well ( previously given less than 24 hours to live) following multi organ failure due to alcohol) She had a physio visit her three times a week, along with a morning and evening carer.

She had been told it was a miracle she survived and that just one drink could kill her, which she understood.

When her morning carer came on Monday, the carer asked if she wanted any shopping. She needed a few basic things, and then added it was her son in laws 30th birthday  (my son, whose birthday is in December!).

He liked a certain malt whisky (he hates whisky!), so could the carer get him a bottle. She even asked her to get a bottle gift bag and card.

She came back with her shopping and then left as usual saying she'd see her in the morning and the next carer would come as usual at 6pm.

The evening carer came, rang the bell, but got no response, so let herself in using the key safe. She found her unconscious on the floor in a pool of vomit, urine and faeces. The whisky bottle was on the floor nearly empty.

So we are now back to square one. Whether she survives or not, remains to be seen. My daughter in law has seen her but has said she will go when she can, but as she is unconscious, sees little point in hurrying back.

Unfortunately she saw one of  the consultants her mum had last time who was very sharp with her. He wanted to know why on earth she'd let her mum drink whisky when he'd told her in no uncertain terms that just one drink could kill her.

At this point, my daughter in law had no idea where the whisky had come from. She was adamant the whisky wasn't in the house as she'd searched the house from top to bottom to make sure there was no alcohol before her mum came home.

She then went back to her mums to clean up and found the card and gift back, along with a receipt for her mums shopping. She knew then how she'd got the whisky. To say she was livid is putting it mildly. It's written and highlighted in the carers book that under no circumstances can the client have any alcohol whatsoever, even meals cooked in wine or desserts like sherry trifle!!

Shes now lodged a complaint with the agency who provides the carers, who are now carrying out an investigation.

What I find frightening is the depths people can go to to get alcohol. The fact she had a plausible excuse, even asking for a gift bag and birthday card, shows this wasn't a sudden spur of the moment thing. She'd obviously planned in advance a way of maybe getting alcohol .

A sad story which obviously affects not just the drinker, but the whole family, especially her two grandsons who'd got used to granny being back home and saw her 3 or 4 times a week. The carer has been suspended, whilst the agency carry out their own internal investigation. She's also been told she could loose her job for gross negligence of a client.

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

such a sad and traumatic ending. So sad for certain. Drinking is so truly horrible it is hard to grasp. My thoughts are with you and your family. Robin
  • Posted

Wise words by your son, her suffering is over. In many ways there will always be the good memories.  Read all the posts and how supportive and understanding each one has shown special understanding to your circumstances. 

So very sorry my condolences to you and your family. Remember the good things and the lessons we all go thru from the healing process while grieving.

You have been very supportive with many of us on the forum thru the years, always helping others. I am very grateful to have been on the supportive end from your wise advice when I need friendship, understanding, sympathy, and words of encouragement  You are very strong , sometimes strength comes in  heavy packages. 

God bless.🙏🏽

Hugs, Hope

• Posted

great reply!! VickyLou is always here to help!!Bless her!! Robin
  • Posted

Hi all

its not been an easy time, as I'm sure you can imagine.

just wanted to say thanks to everyone who's cared.

special thanks to RHGB who's advice and help has been valuable

• Posted

Think that should have said invaluable , but you all know what I mean

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.