Secrets to loosing weight

Posted , 3 users are following.

Being over weight has always been a problem in my family. My mum was terribly over weight and went on numerous diets with no success. My sister is still seriously over weight and is suffering bad health because of it.

I am 60 years old and tried to loose weight for years without success but after a visit to hospital where I was told that should I need an operation I would be considered very high risk, it was time to really learn how to get lighter.

In 2006 I moved to Wales and my weight was 31 stone. Completely rediculous for any person. I was diabetic and on insulin.

I discovered that if I eat fats to excess I would put on weight. If I eat sugars in the form of carbohydrate to excess I would put on weight. However, if I eat fats and carbohydrates together my weight would go up at an alarming rate no matter what exercise I did.

I put myself on a diet of the following only!

Home made rye bread (no wheat)

Porrige with milled linseed

Chicken broth

Salad

Scrambled egg with olive oil

Vegetable stew

Apples

Probiotic yogart

Sauerkraut (home made)

Buttermilk

Walnuts

Almonds

Pumpkin seeds

Sumflower seeds

And don't forget to drink lots of water

my weight now is 24 stone this is a loss of seven stone over 8 years and I no longer require insulin.

I made this diet up myself and gave a copy to both my hospital consultant and my GP who were both very interested in how I have done this.

I did not feel hungry on this diet but did experience an acceleration in digestive transit. It has also reduced my need to sleep so much.

I would appreciate the comments of any medical expert as to why this has worked.

Remember I am not medically trained and I think you should speak to your GP before having a go with this. I assure you it works!

Best regards

robert62181.

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I totally agree with you yubana, you must really want to loose weight and realise there are serious health risks with being too heavy. Exercise really does help by accelerating you metabalism which means you loose weight faster even when you are at rest. I did not find my dietician very helpful, she was more intrested in producing a balanced diet including everything than a diet which would help me loose weight. Look at the diet they feed you when you have to stay in hospital, white bread, white bread and a vast array of sugary desserts which I would not feed to anyone. Hospital diets are still in the stone age just like school canteen diets.

I you eat a high carbohydrate diet you can put on weight. If you eat a high fat diet you will also put on a similar amount of weight. The latest findings are that if you eat fat and carbohydrates together you will put on weight at a rate faster than anything. This is why pizza, cakes, pastries, biscuits, chips etc are the worst things to eat if you are trying to loose weight. Fat is stored in our bodies with an energy value of 3500 calories per pound approximately. This is the same for males or females. If you calculate that a pound of fat can keep you going for a day and a half it makes losing weight just by exercising very difficult.

I would love to hear your comments because I am very interested in this subject and although I have lost 7 stone with the diet I blogged, I would love to learn more.

robert

• Posted

1. Change the way you describe your goals.

“Call it whatever you want, but don't call what you’re doing a ‘diet,’ ” says David Grotto, RD, author of The Best Things You Can Eat.

“Diets have a beginning and an end -- and that’s the problem.” You will only succeed, Grotto says, when you make a lifelong commitment to a healthier lifestyle.

2. Make your goal meaningful.

Shift your focus from “I want to fit into those jeans” to “I want to feel good and have more energy.” 

Internal goals -- like you how feel instead of how you look -- tend to have greater staying power over time. Concentrating on the feel-good benefits you're getting also helps you to stick with something.

3. Break up with things that don't work.

Consider what you’ve done in the past to try to lose weight. What you could do differently this time? 

For example, if your downfalls were snacking at work and waiting until the end of the day to exercise, start packing a healthy snack to take with you each day and go for a run first thing in the morning before the day's demands get in the way of your good intentions.

• Posted

Jack,

These so called experts can wrap it up any way they like.

A diet is just the list of things YOU choose to eat.

A diet can be good or bad for you. All you have to do is balance your calorific intake with what you use up. It's basic physics.

All I was doing was sharing a diet which enabled me to loose 7 stone.

My consultant and my GP are very interested in the fact that I have been are be to come off insulin because of it.

My diet is there for anyone to copy if they want. Remember, I am not trying to sell you a book or make money out of anyone, I am just relaying the facts. No theories or books necessary.

robert

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.