Sectioning Advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello - I have severe anxiety and depression and have been off work for some time. I have a fear of medication but have tried an antidepressant and had a very bad time. I don't feel I am improving (and actually feel worse at the moment) but am so scared that my GP or another professional might think I should be sectioned. I am not a danger to myself but am very unwell and not getting better. Sectioning would be so damaging and it scares me so much. I researched the places in my area and they are terrible sharing a room with others, many violent etc being forced medication. Does anyone have any advice, experience they could share?

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I doubt you will be sectioned if you aren't a danger to yourself. I've self harmed since I was about 14, and been in hospital for overdosing 5 times. They've never come close to sectioning me. At a point I was that scared of myself I asked to be put in a hospital but they wouldn't let me go because they didn't think I was "bad enough". I also have severe anxiety issues, delusions, an eating disorder and have had severe depression in the past. Don't worry, go along to your GP, chances are he'll refer you to outpatient therapy and put you on medication. I seriously doubt they will do anymore than that x
  • Posted

Also, I have been on 4 different anti depressants and none never worked for me. However I've only recently been put on anti anxiety and they've helped me a lot since I started them.
  • Posted

it's true female wards tend to be a bit more aggressive than male wards and women are known to fight each other over trivia. I have just been discharged after 10 months in hospital and I saw some interesting and shocking things there.   Apart from that it worked for me and I feel well now after a good rest without any stress.

• Posted

Hello Richard - do you mind me asking a few questions? Was it a voluntary admission or were you sectioned? Where was the hospital? - did you have your own room or did you have to share? Was medication forced on you or could you discuss and adjust your dose? Where the facilities any good? The place near me has a very bad reputation lack of cleanliness, dangerous, and I understand that some of the staff can be quite brutal - places seem to vary so much. If you were sectioned was it a GP / family member or someone from the community mental health team or other that started the process. I cannot imagine it being restfull but I am glad you are out and feeling well. C
    • Posted

the first occasion was voluntary admission and the second a section 3 because I disputed the correct doses. the hospital was in chelmsford and the whole time  I only shared a room one night in ten months. you could discuss your medication and if it was a pig headed Dr you would be persuaded to take it or if the Dr listened to you there was a choice. Wards do vary in cleanliness but are cleaned everyday according to a h&s programme. The staff are a lottery but on the whole nice. They are human though and could be wicked. The community team came to assess me and 3 psychiatrists decided that I was to be sectioned. An ambulance came and took me and it was initially an unpleasant experience getting used to others and their ways. r
    • Posted

Richard - that is so alarming being sectioned for disputing medication doses - terrible. The place near me you have to share a room and it could be with 3 people. I would not be able to cope plus I have an extremely sensitive system so would be traumatised and I am also extremely sensitive to medication - this could be dangerous on a ward as you would have no say. I pray it never comes to it.
    • Posted

I would not worry too much. I was on a mixed ward at first and the female flare ups were usually over a bloke or what tv programme to watch.  Most female wards have single rooms and it is rare but possible that you will share.  The staff should be very vigilant because they always search evryone in case they have things that could harm themselves or others. So basically you are safe and you can lock yourself in your room if you are anxious about company. r
    • Posted

try to not get so worked up about it. everyone in there will be like on the forum ie mentally ill and in need of help. So just insist on a single room and see where that may take you should it happen.

richard

• Posted

These days the practice of Sectioning is used as a last resort and in your case I would think they would allocate you with a CPN  Community Psychiatric Nurse, who would visit you at home regularly and give you a Health Plan which you would be involved in preparing and agreeing to and you would be cared for by a team led by a psychiatrist, to include your GP and CPN and any other person involved in your care.  You would only be sectioned if you became a danger to yourself or others which would be agreed by two doctors.  Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.