sedation for endoscopy what is it like

Posted , 14 users are following.

I am having an endoscopy under sedation soon but am anxious as dont know what to expect.  I expect lots of people have undergone this but would really like to hear from someone.  So many scare stories out there, 

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Louise, I had an endoscopy last week with no sadation and it was fine as long as you can keep still and try not to swallow only whwn they say. It wasnt a problem for me as i have had it done twice without sedation.  I hope this is of some help to you.

Keep clam!

Yvonne

• Posted

I have to have sedation as I will flee the room when they come near me that is how bad my anxiety is.  God knows why this is bad for me as I have undergone several ops etc in my life and nothing usually phases me just the thought brings me out in a cold sweat.  Many thanks for your reponse all the info is a great comfort.  
    • Posted

Hi Louise

You will be fine I was terrified. I put off having it done many time but got scared it to it in end coz my dad had died of stomach cancer and I was scared of had it as well so under pressure submitted to having it done . As you I was terrified even when was at appointment felt like walk out. I was realy scared I told them how scared I was. And was nearly in tears. They were realy nice and helped me trough ever bit. Telling me not to worry helping me as I said before with having the canualer in my had as also scared of needles as was also terrified having that done .they were so nice and was done under the NHS. As I said only remember questions they asked me before then sat me on the bed told me about the spray taste a bit sweet like strawberry sprayed up nose and throat just as hits back throat get biter after taste she said one day they make taste better as said then asked if had tube up/over nose before I said no so she helped with that and helped you lie on side as said she had my hand knew I was really scared I was just going to say felt bit sick and don't remember another thing till i was in recovery bit and nuse said thers a cup tea 1 sugar for yoi with some busicts wheb you ready. I remember thinking how dose she know I take 1 sugar lol then she phoned my daughter for me as she was picking me up .. Don't remember any thing about it I was so impressed and felt so brave that I had done it . Even when went to work next day and told my boss is done it she was impressed as I was so scared the day before I could talk about it said I don't think can go through with it . Even told my surgon. He said he was also impressed as he knew hospital scared I was . He said I told you you wold be ok and they would look after you.If I can do it you can as I said I was so terrified I felt very proud of myself that actually manged to go through with it and had like your self looked for help of copying with it from others on here and there support was very helpful...

Good luck you will be fine ..

Let us all know how you got on .... Hope all comes out Good for you.

And you will be so proud of yourself aswell after you have had it done ...

Regards

Zena

• Posted

Hi Zena 

I have mine soon but with sedation and no spray.  I dont know what country you are in but here in the UK I dont think they spray up nose but am not `100% sure.  Did you have Midazolem Anyway I am glad for you it is all over and yes you should be proud of yourself well done, especially as you hate needles also.  I hope like you I dont remember the tube going down my throat or anything else. I just want to get the sedation and then wake up with a cup of tea also.  I hope your results are good.  

Kind regards

Kind regards 

• Posted

When there is sedation, u wont feel anything. Without sedation is the worst. I dont mean to scare u, but mine was done without sedation(just throat local anesthatic) and it was a horrible experience.
    • Posted

Thank you for your response - I dont understand how some people on this site say its so easy without sedation and others like yourself have a bad experience - this is why I want the sedation.  I have friends like yourself who had bad experiences also so I wonder why it works for some and not others.  
  • Posted

Hi I ahd my first one a few weeks ago I was so scared but it was a breeze as someone said I had no throat spray as I dont like the swollen feeling but a light sedation It was so easy. I was eatinga sandwhich ten min after it . lease my best bit of advice is try !! to relax it only takes minuits and will be over . The sedation was great no after effects at all . good luck.
    • Posted

Gosh thank you for that - its very reassuring.  Do you remember anything about the procedure i.e. the tube going down - that is my fear as I think I will gag and try and pull it out. I am not having the spray either as like you I dont like the feeling of it but will definately have the sedation.  I just dont want to know about anything as I may resist it and run. 
    • Posted

It is unavoidable to not gag a small bit as there is part of our throats that automatically does this, but since you are taking the sedation then it should relax you enough for you just to concentrate on your breathing, that's my biggest advice for you, try and concentrate on your breathing, honestly you are going to be fine 😘 

• Posted

thank you and yes I will try my best and concentrate on the breathing.  
    • Posted

When are you going Louise? I am going on Friday so not long now! eek
    • Posted

not got a date yet - are you having sedation - good luck please let me know how you get on - sending you all good wishes.
    • Posted

Yes I am going to have sedation,I am worried about the whole thing but want it doing to hopefully provide some answers.

I will let you know how it went ect..

• Posted

I felt the same way before mine! The actual procedure itself I remember absolutely nothing. They gave me Propfol, which is a very deep sleep. I woke up very sleepy and a little unstable but that's because the drug is so strong. I was drinking a coffee an hour later and reading over my papers finally discovering what was wrong! Knowledge is the best power and I'm so glad I went through it. Honestly the worst part of it all was the terrible sore throat I had for a whole week afterwards but that eventually disappears!

• Posted

Hi again Louise.

I went for my Endoscopy this morning! They all told me to do it without sedation and I decided to just go for it-I was terrified of the results so just wanted to know as soon as possible(they tell you what they can see as they arre doing it and also talk you through afterwards-unlike with sedation-they will talk to you once you have come round enough!)

Anyway it wasnt nice,felt like I was choking and gagged a lot-the nurse with me was a so nice-he was holding my hand and stroking my hair lol!!!! reassuring me the entire time.

It was over in minutes and they didnt find anything at all-so i am booked in for a scan next week to rule out more possible causes!

I would not have another without sedation, but in a strange way glad I did it without...

Would advise you to have the throat spray and sedation if you can.that way you really wont feel a thing.

• Posted

Hi Sarah

Thought about you on Friday and thank you for letting me know how you got on - well done for going through it without sedation and I can imagine the relief now it is all over.  The nurse sounds great. In a way it is good they didn't find anything but must be frustrating as you need to know what is wrong  - perhaps the scan will show up more.  What were your symptoms if you dont mind me asking.  I have had reflux with horrible burning in the throat for over a year and recently started vomitting and having awful stomach pains after I eat so now I am only eating very bits of food every now and again so not good at all really.  Still not long now. Also, are you in the UK (as I am),  Once again well done great achievement... I think I will stick with sedation 

• Posted

I had an endoscopy last week, and in Scotland, it's at the back of the throats they spray it, its best because of the recovery time, please believe me it's so quick and the staff are so good that it's over in minutes.

• Posted

Hi,Yes I am in the UK.

It really was not a nice experience but over so quickly.The nurse did make everything so much more bearable.I left five minutes afterwards and was home eating a sausage roll 20 mins after that!!!!

I have not even been left with a sore throat.

My symptoms started with a dull burning in my stomach that lasted constantly for two weeks...then seemed to move to under my left rib cage and eventually around to my lower back-which is still causing me bother now!my stomach isnt hurting anymore(and now I know it isnt anything to do with that area)I am also burping a lot-no sickness etc.

I am still worried its something horrible and still in a very anxious state about it all.(I have lost weight but thinking its because I was barely eating through nerves)

Worrying times all round.

I am going for my scan this coming week also.

Take care and for sure go with sedation-over in minutes and then you will be one step closer to a result and on the road to feeling better.

• Posted

Hi Sarah 

All these symptoms are very worrying arn't they especially when they cannot find anything upon endoscopy - good luck with your next tests.  I have lost weight too but that is also because I am not eating much in a day a banana and a handful of veg if that. 

My endoscopy is on the 26th so will let you know how it goes.  

Thank you for your responses - nice to chat to someone going through the same which has made me feel a lot less anxious.  

Kind regards 

• Posted

Ahh thank you sarah - will let you know how it goes. Keep me updated with your progress also. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.