Sedation for female flexible cystoscopy?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am booked for a flexible cystoscopy in four weeks time, to try to find out the cause for microscopic blood in my urine. I am dreading the procedure but more so now after speaking to the clinics receptionist. She said I needed to bring a driver as I would be sedated and too woozy and uncomfortable to drive home. When I said I assumed it was just freeze gel they used she said she definitley wouldn't like to have it done without sedation! I'm now freaking out and feel like canceling. I have no other symptoms, just frequency about four months ago. No infections in urine or anything. I don't think reception staff should be allowed to give any details of procedures to nervous patients. A letter with details is on it's way. I just wanted to ask if sedation is normally used/needed with a flexible scope which is definitely what I am booked for.

Thank you all.

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Nothing to worry about , a flexible cystoscope  is done using a numbing gel local . Where did the receptionist study medicine ?, and what medical qualifications does she have?. Receptionists should not give advise on medical matters .  A rigid cystocopy is done under general anaesthic , either only takes a few minutes . I have had both with no problems at all , and the scope has to go further into a male . Don't worry , relax and it will be over in a few minutes . 

• Posted

Dear Caz,

Please do not worry about this; I was completely terrified and almost backed out. 

Same symptoms and all was well. The procedure is very, very quick and the gel is amazing - I honestly felt nothing and am a very petite person! There was also a nurse next to me and you have to try and think that they are doing you a favour - its your health that matters most, nerves are normal. I am a complete coward and spent weeks agonising and imagining what turned out to be a few minutes ( I think smear test is worse.) Good luck and hope this helps.

• Posted

I had  one over 2 years ago  due to same symtoms .  I think most of us - male and female - are very apprehensive about this procedure . My anxiety went off the richter scale when just before my procedure i was aksed by the receptionsit if i would give my permission to have 6 students witness the consultant  performing the procedure on me - I politely declined !!!  - oh and the procedure itself was painless - the biggest pain was going for a pee afterwards which  lasted about 24 hours
  • Posted

Hi all. I received an information sheet today from the clinic. It say I do not need to fast as procedure will be performed under local anaesthetic. Then it says I cannot drive for 24 hours as I will be undergoing a local anaesthetic!! I was unaware that having numbing gel would prevent me from driving. It keeps mentioning surgery and that it will be performed on day of admission. Talks about waiting a few hours before going to theatre. I thought this would be a quick 5 minutes in a cubicle! I am now thinking that I will ask my GP for a referral for a private 3T MRI scan which I know is around £250. This gives really clear images of any organ and my partner had one recently to assess his prostate. I think I will ring this place on Monday and ask more questions, although it says Flexible Cystoscopy it sounds to me more like rigid!! Thanks for the link Jackie, it is very reassuring. Thanks so much to all of you.

• Posted

Because of the confused signals you have been getting from this doctor's office, I would speak directly with the doctor for clarification before even showing up.

But be warned that if they start putting in an IV line, the next thing you will probably remember is being in the recovery area after the procedure!

There should not be any IV line, or gas mask, or spinal tap for a flex cystoscopy with a local anaethetic (numbing gel).  The instructions you were given appear to be for some sort of fast acting sedation or general anathesia such as versed or valium.

Jim

Jim 

• Posted

The information sheet you received is probobly a standard leaflet with general information , not specific to your case . If you are booked for a flexible cystocopy gel will be used to numb the urethea . It is not usual to do a rigid cystocopy without general anaesthetic . Don't worry , after it is over you will be on here telling us how easy it was .

• Posted

Lol, thanks David. I'm sure you are right. I don't think it's the procedure itself as such. It's just that the camera has to go into such a narrow space and I can't imagine I won't feel it! I'd like to arrive at my check in time, sign the form and get it over with. However, the letter says I will have to wait a few hours before going to theatre. I get so nervy sitting around. I'm still toying with the idea of MRI to give an idea of what may be happening and to clarify if cystoscopy is really necessary.

• Posted

Caz . Please don't worry . The camera diameter is only 5 mm and the average female urethra is 6mm . The uretha will be numbed and well lubricated and should be painless . I was worried before my cystocopy , but it only took about 15 minutes from entering the room to leaving . I had very little discomfort afterwards and no pain .

• Posted

I AM GOING TO ASSUME THAT YOU ARE A MALE.   IT IS MORE PAINFUL,  WHEN IT IS DONE TO A FEMALE THAN WHEN IT IS DONE TO MALE....

• Posted

Hi Carmen,

What makes you think cystoscopy is more painful for a female? In fact, even rigid cystoscopies are sometimes done on females with only a numbing agent, but males are almost always put to sleep. With a flexible cysoscopy, in most cases it can be done with only a numbing gel for both males and females.

Of course this doesn't mean that some people don't suffer (male of female) be it flexible or rigid, and Carmen's story is terrible. Her doctor should be been reported for threatening to leave the room. But that doesn't mean one should necessarily ask to be put asleep for a flexible as anathesia has it's own risk profile.

Jim

• Posted

PS Sorry for the third person on "Carmen". I didn't realize you were the poster than responded to David.

• Posted

No need to shout. It's not a contest whether it is more painful for male or female. Male urethra is 20 cm long female 5 cm. 

• Posted

THANK YOU, JIMJAMES,  AND BY THE WAY........I AM NOT SHOUTING........BUT,  MY EXPERIENCE WITH IT,  WAS AWFUL,  AND YOU ARE CORRECT, IN STATING THAT I SHOULD HAVE REPORTED HER,  BUT TO WHOM,  SHE OWNS THE MEDICAL PRACTICE.........
    • Posted

I apologise for accusing you of shouting, sorry. I assumed you could read the comments.
    • Posted

Carmen

I am not sure if you are in the United States or not but she is licensed so even if she owns the practice she still has to answer to a medical board.  I just filed a letter of complaint to my state medical board, whom grants medical licenses in my state concerning the injury and harm caused by the first doctor I went to. 

Debbie 

• Posted

DEBBIE,  THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY.......IT WAS DONE LAST YEAR,  AND NOW I AM GOING TO HAVE ANOTHER ONE FOR THE BLADDER,  BUT THIS TIME,  I AM MUCH WISER......
    • Posted

Well, you have a right to "shout" after what you've been through smile Not sure what computer you have, but there's usually a way to change the screen magnification so you would be able to use upper and lower cases and still see them. As to reporting her, maybe a local medical board?

Jim

• Posted

Carmen

Even if it was done last year, you may still be able to file a complaint, I actually called and spoke with my state medical board, they verified that he was licensed in my state and then took the time to walk me though all the steps that I needed to take, I even questioned weather it was a violation of the law, which is required in my state and they insured me that it was as patient care is part of the law in my state.  She then said she would be looking forward to getting the complaint.  I filed the complaint so if nothing else he knows what he did to me and how it made me feel and hopefully he will not be able to do it to anyone else.  Hopefully it will make him stop and think before he hurts anyone else and while the writing of the complaint was emotionally draining as I felt like I was reliving an attack I feel better now that I have done it.

Debbie 

• Posted

I HAVE A GATEWAY DESK COMPUTER........I WENT THAT WAY,  AND THE LETTERS BECAME SO BIG.......THEN I COULD NOT GET OUT OF IT.....SO I AM NOT GOING THERE ANYMORE,  BUT ANYWAY,  THANKS,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.