Sedation for female flexible cystoscopy?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am booked for a flexible cystoscopy in four weeks time, to try to find out the cause for microscopic blood in my urine. I am dreading the procedure but more so now after speaking to the clinics receptionist. She said I needed to bring a driver as I would be sedated and too woozy and uncomfortable to drive home. When I said I assumed it was just freeze gel they used she said she definitley wouldn't like to have it done without sedation! I'm now freaking out and feel like canceling. I have no other symptoms, just frequency about four months ago. No infections in urine or anything. I don't think reception staff should be allowed to give any details of procedures to nervous patients. A letter with details is on it's way. I just wanted to ask if sedation is normally used/needed with a flexible scope which is definitely what I am booked for.

Thank you all.

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I would find out for sure if you'll be sedated. If it's an option then then take the sedation! I will never have a cystoscopy without sedation ever again. I was awake and it was horribly painful. I did not receive numbing gel, however.

• Posted

I HAD A CYSTOSCOPY DONE BY AN UNCARING FEMALE PHYSICIAN THAT FORGOT TO TELL ME HOW PAINFUL IT IS, WITHOUT ANY SEDATIVE.  THIS IS A CAMERA WITH A LONG TUBE BEING INSERTED INTO A VERY SENSITIVE PART, OF THE BODY,  AND MOVED AROUND UNTIL SHE WAS ABLE TO FIND THE CORRECT POSITION TO  SEE WHATEVER IT IS THAT SHE WAS LOOKING FOR.  THEN,  WHEN I STARTED SCREAMING,  SHE HAS THE NEVER TO TELL ME,  THAT SHE WILL WALK OUT OF THE ROOM, IF I DO NOT STOP SCREAMING.............I WILL NEVER SEE HER AGAIN..........
    • Posted

Carmen

It sounds like you had a doctor similar to mine, I changed doctors and as just filed a formal complaint with the state medical board.  My new doctor is a dream and goes out of his why to make sure I do not have a repeat of my first experience as he saw the emotional injury and physical damage the first doctor cause to me.    

I would recommend you to find a new doctor.  As my primary care doctor said to me that to do the scope (I had a rigid in the office without numbing gel or lubrication of any kind) that is barbaric.

Debbie 

• Posted

DEBBIE:   THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY......I CANNOT SEE,  SO PLEASE DO NOT THINK THAT I AM SHOUTING.....MY DOCTOR WAS BARBARIC....
    • Posted

SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR BARBARIC DOCTOR. FORTUNATLY NOT ALL DOCTORS ARE THE SAME. IF THE PROCEDURE IS DONE CORRECTLY BY A SKILLED AND CARING DOCTOR, THERE SHOULD BE MINIMUM PAIN OR DISCOMFORT. TO DO THE PROCEDURE WITHOUT AT LEAST NUMBING GEL IS INDEED BARBARIC.
  • Posted

I don't see anything wrong with the receptionist simply saying you should be sedated because it truly is most uncomfortable. But some are just complainers and this is why I let people be blissfully ignorant!! Most medical receptionist are trained to assist patients with minor details such as this.

• Posted

The original comment by caz11527 was 12 months ago, you are rather late with your reply.

• Posted

If sedation is based solely on the fact that it is a "Flexible Cystoscopy", then there is absolutely no justification for sedation. Now, if there is some other reason they haven't told you about then sedation might be justified, but you, Caz, the patient have every right to know.

I think you need to start asking questions, NOW!

Caz, I hope you can sort this out. Four weeks should give you enough time.

Warm regards, alan86734.

• Posted

CORRECTION

The way I read this made me think along the lines of a general anesthetic. Sedation in this case should

something like Lidocaine mixed in with the lubricant jelly and I would have thought a couple of hour rest after the procedure would be sufficient. But I am not a doctor, so Alan, shut up!!!

This raised another horrible thought. They do intend lubricating you and the instrument, I hope?! You had better check on this point very carefully.

Warm regards and good luck, alan86734.

• Posted

caz11527 posted this 12 months ago, why is  robyn 03285 giving advice now?.
  • Posted

I think its very poor patient relations to tell you what the receptionist did. We all have a bit of anxiety with any procedure when we don't know what to expect..but now speaking from experience I can tell you that there is nothing to be worried about if you have to have a cystoscopy!!! I went in for mine just 2 days ago. No sedation needed whatsoever. The nurse prepped me with an iodine scrub (gently) and put some numbing gel in. About 8-10% of us have tiny urethral opening so my Dr. used dilators from about 14-22 and even so I felt almost nothing. She calls it a "pinch and a burn" for a few seconds going in but then nothing. So ladies...please don't let internet horror stories get into your head before going in for this procedure. It will be just fine...& its pretty cool to see the inside of your bladder😳

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.