Sedation Free Colonoscopy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have read that many people have had a colonoscopy without sedation. I am looking for a physician in either the Tampa Bay or Orlando areas of Florida that will be willing to do this. Please let me know if you know of a practice that will do this. Thanks!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Howard

Why would you want a colonoscopy without sedation????. I had my 6th colonoscopy a few days ago and always have sedation. In the UK it is normally "conscious" sedation...and seems to hardly make a difference to your level of consciousness. ....it just relaxes you a bit and I was fully awake so I could watch the scope go round my large colon on the tv screen...I would fully recommend sedation. IF you don`t have it this just means you might be able to leave the clinic an hour or so earlier (although you might need a rest anyway!)...and you don`t have to have anyone accompany you as you have to with sedation.   regards

• Posted

I cannot help in your search for a Dr, but did have mine without sedation and was fine. I don't like to be out of control  and breath through  pain( childbirth ) . There was only a couple of times that I found it painful but coped with the breathing.  The Dr took great care to tell me when the air was going, as this is usually when you feel uncomfortable . 

I hope you find a Dr to do yours. 

• Posted

Howard.

For least amt of pain look for a doctor that uses water infusion instead of traditional air insufflation to open up the colon.

Then if you can find doctor who is proficient in the use of the pediatric colonoscope in adults you'll have the easiest time.

The pediatric scope is smaller than the one they use on adults so it makes the three sharp turns easier as long as the user knows how to control it.

Regards,

Raffie

• Posted

That is true they do have it without being sediated but there are times you have to be put too sleep I just had a cystoscopy and biposy done on Thursday and I am ready to get this done now I am not scared the nurses where so nice and they reassured me nothing would happen and they have it to where if your asleep now or not so that's a good thing and I thank them I want my experience on my colonoscopy to go as good like this one did I am ready to get it all behind me and then it's done I have do the prep before and cancelled due to not being completely cleaned out the place I was suppose to get it done at that dumb nurse come in anyway and get it done NO and my husband even said you don't do that anyway some man died from that I read about this online they need to have a way to check it too see if your cleaned out I will say on that. He had a bunch of health problems also and did not tell his doctor or that staff and was not cleaned out my doctor is mad at me for not having it done but I am working toward of getting it done some where else.

• Posted

Oh you lucky people living in the USA when you can get put out!  The UK it's minimal sedation (if you're lucky, if they can find a vein, if they allow enough time to take effect) and/or gas and air.

• Posted

They need to make a newer way of testing the colon the colonoscopy has been around since the 1970's it's time for something more newer than that. I would rather be awake than asleep but if I have to be put out there is nothing I can do.

• Posted

Hi Patty:

There are other ways. There's a CAT scan or MRI and you have the little camera pill they've developed. Think it's called Camera II now.

Problem with the other ways is, if they detect something, you still have to go through the traditional way. Also, the other ways don't remove polyps like the traditional way does..

One way that can make the test a bit more tolerable, is to have the facility use a pediatric scope instead of the adult scope as it's smaller. As it's smaller, you need to have someone who has experience using it as it tends to kink up faster than the adult scope.

Here in the states, they want you knocked out so they can move more people in and out and they don't want you to remember anything.

They also do it because it's more money for them. It's not easy finding a facility here that will do it un-sedated.

Regards,

Raffie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.