Sedation or not

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I am due to have endoscopy tomorrow suffer with severe anxiety and don't no weather to have sedation or not any advice would b great thanks

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kazza,

I also suffer from severe anxiety and just had an endoscopy two months ago. I was sedated and had no ill effects. it did not spike my anxiety or anything. You will be just fine.

• Posted

I was tired for about an hour or two after then that was that. I took it easy that day.No need for anyone to watch you for 24hrs lol. Its not like that.didnt effect anxiety at all it would be the opposite you think. Its sedation. Its the opposite. I never heard of someone being watched for 24 hrs ever. 
    • Posted

oops answered this in the wrong place. 
    • Posted

Thanks that reassures me had myself in a right state not knowing what to do I will deffo do the sedation
  • Posted

I've had it without, trust me - take the sedation, it really is very unpleasant without. You won't remember a thing with the sedation, it's the best way

• Posted

The sedation is a great idea. I have done  it, feels good to be out cold for a bit. You close your eyes and it feels like a second then youre done. Far from scary..the opposite really.
    • Posted

Thanks how did u feel after did u have to have someone with u for 24 hours? Or were u ok? I have been told I need someone with me for 24hour?
  • Posted

I have had it without sedation. Trust me, please take sedation. You are only out for a few hours and you won't feel anything.

I had a bit of a panic attack during it as well, it's quite easy to gag on the camera as breathing is abnormal which just triggers a reflex!

• Posted

Another sedation vote! It actually feels good to let go and doze off for us anxiety sufferers. It is a great lesson in letting go too, which is a bonus. smile All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.