See Your Doctor

Posted , 6 users are following.

Sometimes I see posts regarding unprotected sex etc on this site often showing pictures of genitalia with spots, scabs, sores, itching amongst other things asking complete strangers to diagnose them from some basic symptoms and a picture.

I can't believe that instead of making an appointment with their GP or going to a sexual health walk in centre they rely on someone on a Internet forum to decide what's wrong with them.

That's not going to happen, just because someone else has similar symptoms it doesn't mean it's the same disease, theirs could be totally benign and yours could need fast medical attention.

After you have a diagnosis then by all means ask for support but don't rely on this site to be your diagnostic tool.

I'm not unsympathetic just realise that certain diseases can be a lot worse for being neglected

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Some people in some countries dont have access to health care, whether it be due to insurance issues or money issues.

• Posted

Some people see doctors then still ask people because not sure if you know this but dr can be wrong too. Also it can be a piece of mind for those who have an appointment but could be days away. Also health care is not readily available to everyone

• Posted

If you don't believe your Dr then I suggest you change your Dr.

In the uk thankfully health care is available to everyone because we pay into the system our whole lives.

As I said before this site is a peer to peer site not a diagnostic site and as such cannot be used to get your medical condition diagnosed, just for support when you finally know what is wrong with you

• Posted

theres a condition that will cause you to think you always have something wrong and sometimes people rather have a peer conversation rather than spend hundreds in doc visits

• Posted

I know the condition, its either health anxiety or hypochondria but that's not the point its that their asking about STIs and conditions due to sexual activity that needs checking to make sure it's not a bonefide disease before they ask for reassurance.

If you can't see that then it's pointless you commenting on this thread, no matter what it is you think you have be it a physical or mental health issues it's a must to get it checked out first, as I said this site is for support not diagnosis

• Posted

also, some people come to this site because they have an appointment in 4-5 days time, and need advice in any way possible from people who are going through the same thing!

• Posted

But you don't know they are going through the same thing its guess work and because of that someone could be advised it's fine because they have something that looks the same and have been tested and its fine but it could be that the other person has say herpesvirus and thinks it's nothing and doesn't get the condition diagnosed and explained to them the consequences and carries on to pass it to others and of their are even worse scenarios

• Posted

yes that's why i came to this site because my appointment was 5 days away and i was freaking out and just looking for advice ... definitely didn't come here to get diagnosed but just to ask others thst have what i have about it .. i pretty much already knew what i have... but you are completely right ppl shouldn't go by what others say here should definitely always go to q doctor and get tested

• Posted

exactly like me. i knew what it was before diagnosis, came here to see other people's and how theyve coped, then attended my appointment 5 days later. now where i can, i help people on here like i was helped through it!!! most discussions i read are the same "cant be seen until next week etc"

• Posted

But the problem is that people who live in countries other than the UK think this is a Dr based site, its obviously not and is a UK based peer to peer forum for the benefit of those who have already been diagnosed and as for getting advice from those who have the same conditions, you don't know they have the same condition if you haven't been diagnosed yet, theirs could appear similar but one could be benine and the other could be possibly malignant, that's why any new worrying symptoms need to be checked by your GP not by someone on an Internet site.

• Posted

I totally agree that every abnormality should be assessed by a medical professional! I actually would urge people to have a std check after every new partner or yearly if in a stable relationship and ask for a hsv test to be added because it’s not on a routine check. I’m lucky as I have affordable and available medical care when ever I need it. But this isn’t the case for everyone. Also some doctors won’t even test for somethings or swab a lesion.m

I dont know if you’ve ever had anything or even a scare. I have hsv2 and I also work in the medical field. I went to see several doctors because I was in denial (not only of that my ex partner gave it to me but also I don’t have casual sex and I go for regular tests). But actually all the doctors information all differed from each other. None of them seen it as a big deal but to me it was a massive deal. Personally I felt like I was the only person in the world with my problem. I felt so alone. Coming on here and other social media platforms and seeing people living and enjoying life with these conditions as really helped me! And I’d rather take advice from people living with a condition then someone that has a “everyone has it it’s not a big deal, you don’t even have to disclose” kind of attitude which I was told by two doctor.

The main thing is until you are in a certain situation it’s very hard to judge. People are scared and desperate and will do anything for help.

• Posted

Hi glad to hear that you have been diagnosed and yes it's a must to find support from others that have also been told that they have A B or C

I had a big scare after my last child was born and thankfully that's all it turned out to be, but if like us we hadn't had tests to confirm one way or another then the consequences could have been so much worse.

I'm not saying don't ask for support from others just that please be aware that their spots, sores, itching, smell etc might be nothing for them but something that needs treatment for others, I'm glad that others can help me to cope with your diagnosis and realise that you can live with it and how to make it not such a scary future for you.

I agree lots of Dr's will pass these things off as if it's of no matter, they do not have to live with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.