Seeds

Posted , 9 users are following.

Can you eat cooked squash, it has seeds. Can you eat pickles?  I’m confused about seeds. Nothing with seeds? Never realized how many things I like have seeds. ☹️

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I scrape all seeds out of squash as well as cucumbers.  I avoid all seeds as much as possible.
  • Edited

I had butternut squash all the time.  I cut it open and scrape out the seeds before I roast it.  Similarly with tomatoes. I skin them, quarter them and remove the seeds before cooking.  Passata is also good for cooking with, as everything is pureed.  Also cucumbers and zuchini.  I know people avoid fruit like raspberries, blackberries and even strawberries.  But I would say there is no such thing as "you must never eat this".  Everyone is different, and it's trial and error to find out what you can and can't eat.  Try a little bit, and if it causes problems, then you know, and it goes on the "food that is bad for me" list.  My list contains gluten, wheat and full fat products - yours will be different.

• Posted

Hi Linda

I so agree with you re seeds! Occasionally I would have a small amount of seeds or nuts, but am trying to stop this as I'm wondering if they are a culprit. 

Reading through so many entries on this site I realise I am perhaps more fortunate than many others as I tend not to have the dreadful left sided pain others do. I had it before I was diagnosed with DD 2 years ago. My problem is the dreadful bloating and diarrhoea which makes me reluctant to organise a social life because of the times I have had to cancel arrangements at the last minute. All very embarrassing. Thank goodness I am now retired.Like so many on this site have noted, people don't understand the difficulties if they don't have a similar problem. That's true of so many things.

Trying to maintain some semblance of nutrition I now base a lot of meals on the humble jacket potato. Thank goodness my microwave cooks them nicely. I scoop out the flesh and mix it with the almost pureed flesh of other vegetables. This works extremely well with squash, a vegetable I had never used until DD entered my life. 

I'm feeling sorry for myself at present. Bloated and not straying from the bathroom over recent days. It does get tiring doesn't it?

Anyway, hoping this might be helpful.

x

• Posted

.Hi UPATSY,

Your  entry really struck a chord with me. I am totally confused as to what to eat, as I can see no pattern in what brings on these attacks. Just trying to avoid anything that is very spicy at the moment, now I will have to think about seeds.

I feel pretty sorry for myself right now as I am just finishing a course of antibiotics for another flare-up. I too am constantly having to cancel outings at the last minute because of this horrible condition. I feel as though I am letting people down so tend to do things on the spur of the moment when I'm feeling OK.

I had a day out planned today but alas as you say it does get very tiring and yet again I have had to put things off.

I have been reading about flax seeds (ground...of course!) and how they can help with this condition, sprinkled on cereal or even in yogurt, they are a super-food apparently.

I feel anything is worth a try right now.

A jacket potato seems like a good idea, think I'll have one later onbiggrin

Wishing you all the best,

• Posted

I had an attack in March and another in April. I pretty much lived on potatoes and vanilla ice cream.  Around end of May I added chicken. July I finally went to a Gastro doctor and he said I was also expiring IBS. Anyway he also told me it could take up to 6 months for your intestines to heal after an attack. I have started feeling better and able to eat more. I have found I can't eat salads.  Anytime I eat anything wrong it takes me a week to get over it. It takes time to heal and I also had the depression .  Hopefully you will soon feel better.

• Posted

Hi Linda,

Good question.  I have been a long-time sufferer of diverticulosis/itis (first diagnosed in my early 30's and I am now in my early 50's) and I have finally decided that most seeds do not affect me, especially if they are soft--I eat cucumbers, squash, etc...  I do however, find popcorn and sometimes sesame seeds do with popcorn being the number one culprit!  I have unfortunately had to learn by trial and error as my GI doctor showed me a wide-spread study which said that nuts and seeds DO NOT have a director correlation to Diverticulitis.  I really think this is highly individualized and that you must find what works for you, especially if you have reoccurring bouts like so many of us do.

• Posted

If I may add...keeping an attack away is so important to get back to regular life.  I have a busy one and can't be down for too long...otherwise I am just operating feeling awful and the meds you have to be on just make it worse for me.  So, here is my biggest advice:  HIGH FIBER while you are feeling well is so important!  I have even gotten to the point that I add something like Benefiter to my coffee every single morning!!  I have one of those baby formula dispensers for the dry baby formula and I just add a huge section to my morning coffee.  I try to eat very lean small amount of protein and then TONS of vegetables and some fruit.  My family loves the great with the nuts and grains, which is full of fiber but I avoid it and have my coffee filled to the brim with fiber and then an egg, avocado and fruit instead.  I usually skip lunch and then make everyone dinner which consists of 3 types of veggies and a lean protein.  I have managed to ward off a major attack in about a year and a half now!

• Posted

Newly diagnosed and have followed very careful diet since.

I don't know what I was thinking, hubby was ordering in Chinese Food and I asked for Prawn Toast??? A) it's fried and B) I completely forgot about the sesame seeds on top of it) well I couldn't resist eating it, thinking it cant do that much damage!!! NEVER AGAIN. I have been ill, in bed (between visits to Loo) ever since. However, everyone is different.

• Posted

Hi Linda.

This is from my own personal experience, I have Crohn's and diverticulitis

I've never had a problem with zucchini or yellow squash since the seeds are so soft, same with pickles. I never eat cumbers with the seeds and have never had a problem with strawberry seeds. Keep well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.