Seeing consultant dermatologist; want to get roaccutane prescribed

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm 27 year old, male, with moderate acne that is resistant to the following treatments that I have tried: topical OTC benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, face washes, topical antibiotics, oral antibiotics. I have tried all these things and more but there has not been a definitive, 'omg my skin is clear', treatment for my acne. 

I think that the next step is to try roaccutane. I have a very high pressured job so the stress leads to lots of breakouts. I feel like it's having an impact on my quality of life and self-confidence. I am also single and not having too much luck finding love - I am hoping a complete resolution of my acne would give me a boost of confidence. 

I wanna make sure that the consultant prescribes me the roaccutane. I am well aware of the side-effects. 

1) Is there anything/condition/current medication that would keep the derm from prescribing me roaccutane?

2) Is roaccutane considered somewhat of a definitive cure for acne? 

3) Do I have to take roaccutane for the rest of my life?

4) I take propecia for hairloss; would this be a contraindication to getting this pill prescribed? 

Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I have some experience with taking Roaccutane both for facial acne and more recently for my body. I'm assuming you have facial acne and when I was going to my GP before being referred to a derma I was given pretty much the exact same list of medication as yourself. I was at my wits end and when I sat with the derma I just point blank said I want the Roaccutane as I was sick of taking antibiotics etc with absolutely no result. From my experience on both occasions Roaccutane does work best for facial acne and the side effects (I've experienced) have been so severe that if someone was going onto it for body acne I would advise them to think twice. It really didn't help me and I don't feel the side effects were worth the experimenting. However I got such good results on my face I would definitely recommend it for the face. It's been about 4/5 years since I took it for facial acne and I have never had a flare up since. You won't have to take it for the rest of your life. Generally they put you on a 16 week course but it may go a bit longer depending on the severity. You will meet with your derma and they will take blood there and then to check your liver etc. You will be asked to return the next week to collect your meds pending the blood results are A-Ok. I'm not aware of any medication that contradicts with Roaccutane but discuss this with your derma at the time, they will be best to advise. 

Good luck. You may think now you can cope with the dry lips etc but it really is so severe you'll be a bit miserable whilst taking them. For your moisturiser I recommend Cetaphil from Boots and for lips I think the Blistex relief cream works best. 

• Posted

Thank you Rachel. Side-effects do seem to be severe. But if I only have to take it for 16 weeks, I am more than happy to have dry lips in exchance for a clear face. 

1) Do you know what they check in the blood report before prescribing it to you? 

2) Do you get prescribed all the roaccutane you would need for the 16 weeks? Or do you have to go see your derm on frequent intervals to get it re-prescribed?

• Posted

I'm not sure what exactly they are looking for but I think it's to check your liver is functioning healthily. You will have to go back every 4 weeks and they will take more blood and give you another batch of tablets. You'll only be given 4 weeks worth at a time. It does get a lot of bad press but for facial acne I really think it's a god send. Just monitor your mood, maybe mention to someone your on it flatmate or parent etc. It reportedly causes depression and suicide for some people so don't suffer in silence. Good luck with your derma!
    • Posted

1) Do you think there's anyway they can prescribe at 8 week interval instead of 4? I ask because I might be going on a holiday. 

2) Would they prescribe it to me on the spot if I have the LFTs available for them right there and then? 

Thanks

• Posted

Also, I used to use retin-a (tretinoin) which is the topical gel. But that didn't really work for me.

Do you think that roaccutane can still be benefical for me? 

Thanks

• Posted

I'm not sure about the tretinoin as I've never taken that. I think Roaccutane is probably the most effective solution for acne as it's always a sort of last ditch attempt at getting rid.

Regarding the 8 week intervals I don't think they would allow that. It's really their way or the highway I think because they have to keep an eye on your bloods etc. I don't know what you mean by LFTs ...?

• Posted

Thanks!

So what happens if you have to go on a vacation or can't attend the 4 week interval appointments?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi there, just thought I'd drop you a line to say I'm on my 2nd week of Roaccutane now and believe me if you see what it does to the outside of your body you'd apreciate why the docs want to check on bloods etc, it is pretty much a their way or no way and one other thing to note is you have to keep out of the sun whilst taking the tablets so if its a sunny vacation you may be better waiting til you get back anyway. Just to add this medication requires some dedication to put up with the side effects etc so if the docs think you wont even commit to a check up every 4 wk they may not even prescribe you. Hope this helps in some way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.