Seeing into the future

Posted , 6 users are following.

Rundown of technology headed our way. More reasons for me to wait before doing surgery!

https://www.healio.com/news/ophthalmology/20230814/future-of-iols-modular-shapechanging-multifunctional

Several different types of accomodating lenses, plus our old friend the FixOFlex (which is not a lens, but rather a socket for IOLs that eliminates PCO and facilitates future lens exchange) that has been mentioned here from time to time.

It's on Helio and it is called Future of IOLs - Modular Shape-Changing Multifunctional ... or something like that.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

I wish we could get some kind of estimate for when some of these lenses might hit the market. I suspect Juvene is the closest but are we talking 2 years or 5 years or more? Who knows. I have one eye done and I'm getting by just fine but should I do the second now or wait? If someone could tell me Juvene will be available winter 2025 (for example) I would 100% wait! But no one knows. I could be waiting until 2030.

• Posted

Sounds great, but I would not want to be among the first to try it.

• Posted

Understand the sentiment of course but you wouldn't really be the first to try it as it's been in human trials now for almost 5 years (The "Grail" study + the current FDA trials which reached the 36 month mark last May with nothing by fantastic results). But I hear you.

• Edited

If one can see well, and are not constantly being forced to upgrade your prescription glasses, there certainly is no harm in waiting. That said, I would not hold my breath while waiting if the expectation is to see something better than what we have now.

• Posted

at some point things get unbearable and unsafe. if you can wait safely its always better to wait.

in 2018 the US did not have a trifocal and people were touting edof symfony as the next big thing - great range and no visual drops or dysphotopsias of a trifocal like the Zeiss in Europe. Zeiss even came up with LARA to counter Symfony. it was rubbish.

but in 2019 august panoptix came out followed by eyhance, synergy, vivity and then the clareon version for alcon and the symfony became available in optiblue.

• Edited

Well… a year ago my vision was a mess and to be honest, driving was starting to feel potentially unsafe. I couldn't wait any longer and got Eyhance in one eye with the plan to do the other 6 weeks later. But I had complications and long story short, it's been a year since my first surgery. It seems logical to finish the job now that everything has settled but I have no issues living life now. I can work, read, drive… all very safely and comfortably. I need glasses for some things but whatever. And the unoperated eye is still helping with reading. And with both eyes open the world mostly looks amazing! So maybe there's no rush?

I do think having both done may make things better overall (the other eye only corrects to 20/40 and it's a VERY VERY ugly 20/40… the eye chart says almost NOTHING about image quality) but it could also make things worse (reading vision / dim light). And I also ended up with bag wrinkles, PCO, and startbursts (probably from the PCO) in the Eyhance eye. All of those would apparently be non-issues with Juvene since the haptic fills the bag. No eyes in any of the trials have experienced PCO.

• Edited

Latest tentative approval timeline for Juvene is 2025 as reported by CEO to shareholders.

• Posted

Great good to know! Thanks!

Of course that could mean January 2025 or December 2025. So a little over a year or 2 years+. And only in the US at first.

I also read that once they get this FDA "premarket approval" they're going to do another trial for difference sizes since the current haptic fits 90% of capsular bags not 100%. But presumably they will start selling it before those different sizes come to market, much like a monofocal is often approved but then you have to wait another year for the toric version or whatever.

I also read that they are about to undergo a process for CE certification. So things are happening. But hard to really say when you'd actually be able to get it implanted. I'm guessing 2025 is ambitious.

• Edited

So I admit… I might try to wait for Juveve (or similar) for my second eye (unless it gets to a point where I feel I can't wait any more). I know that could be a long wait (and it may never be released) but we'll see. But I had a thought the other day…

So far none of the 200+ Juvene eyes have developed any significant PCO at all. The capsule pictures I've seen of trial subjects are incredible. Crystal clear 3+ years later. But if someone DID develop PCO and need YAG, would that inhibit the accommodative action? In other words, will accommodating IOLs require an intact posterior capsule? Interesting question. It obviously works with an anterior capsule opening since all 200+ eyes in the various trials were implanted in the bag… but would YAG kill the accommodation? I wonder.

UPDATE: I did some good searching and this question has already been asked but not answered. Juvene seems very promising but it sounds like there are still unanswered questions that might only start being answered once the lens is being put into a lot of eyes after approval. Search on "The Quandary of the Capsular Space"

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.